Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Art therapy

Updated post! scroll down...

Bored at work? Try this psychological exercise. (Our friend Vanessa insisted on testing us when we went round for tea, it was the price you had to pay to get a cake. But it was quite fun, and insightful.)

Fold a piece of paper so you have 6 boxes.
Copy the lines you see here into the boxes.
Once you have copied them, doodle on them, make them into whatever you want.
You can draw whatever you like in the empty box.
That's it. I will reveal what they mean tomorrow.












If anyone does this & can be bothered to send me their doodles, that would be great...

Prolix's doodle









Mr Angry's doodle










Bravo, Prolix and welcome Mr Angry, glad you could make it! The rest of my readership are clearly wusses, fearful of my awesome powers of analysis and wishing not to have their souls revealed to the world. I promise not to reveal your whereabouts to the authorities if either of you turn out to be mad.

So here goes...

The wiggly line is meant to reveal your view of how you're coping in the world, of your feelings of control. For example you might draw above the line (coping) or below the line (not coping).
Prolix: you have drawn a groovy hipster with a wiggly tie. This means that you are in full control of your destiny, and dance to your own rhythm. (or something.)
Mr Angry: you have drawn a carrot. There is nothing wrong with carrots. And yours looks like a particularly healthy and flourishing one. You too feel in control of your destiny.

The right angle is an architectural shape which shows what you feel about your home circumstances.
And Prolix has quite fittingly drawn a desirable residence in the countryside, complete with sun shining, birds singing, rolling hills, and - what's this? A top-of-the-range sports car, in case the countryside gets a bit much and he fancies burning some rubber. Either this is what you aspire to Prolix, or it's your current living circumstances, you lucky sod.
Mr Angry begins to live up to his name, with a frankly worrying doodle of a tall spiky haired man standing on the block about to drop a large weight onto a small bald man. Mr Angry, are you having problems with the neighbours?

The circle -this is your view of yourself. You might draw concentric circles, or a sun
Prolix - has drawn a happy smiling person. The only hint of madness might be suggested by the eyes - see how they follow you around the room. You're a happy bunny, right? Life's just one long party to you. Nutter.
Mr Angry makes his circle into a person with a very woeful expression. But all is not lost, at least he has drawn a person, and not, say a gaping black hole sucking all life and happiness out of the universe. Cheer up, Mr Angry!

The slope represents your friendships.
Prolix has drawn a rather abstract window. Um... your friendships are a source of light in your life?
Mr Angry a skier, going downhill. Now don't get angry, Mr Angry. Going downhill can be positive, in the sense that it's the opposite to uphill, ie hard work. Skiing is exhilarating (so I'm told) and provides pleasure. No problems there then.

Parallel lines your feelings about sex and relationships.
Prolix A mysterious masked figure, heading left out of the frame. You don't like to stand still too long in your relationships and the mask over the eyes maybe suggests that you keep your feelings hidden. A tricky customer.
Mr Angry A hamburger. Paging Dr Freud! Well, this suggests to me that you are passionate and carnal (carnivore?) in your relationships. And that you relish them. (Relish, hamburger, get it? See what I did?)

The empty box - what you choose to draw sums up your feelings about life in general.
Prolix - An electric guitar. Would it be out of line to say that music is central to your life? No, too easy. I think that you are waiting for someone or something to plug you in and play you.
Mr Angry - A big roaring fire. You are a veritable firebrand. But we already knew that.

There, you are both sane as sane can be.... I don't know if this was fun to read, but it surely was fun to write. If anyone else wants a reading, drop me a line, special rates available for weddings and bar mitzvahs.












9 comments:

prolix said...

I've just done mine (what? I was bored already). I think it will probably turn out from my crazed doodlings that I need sectioning.... Will scan it in tonight.

Dan Flynn said...

I know, I know. It's a face with one squiggly eye, a smile and a scar. No, it's a logo for a new Bank. Er, is someone bending down? Arrrggghhh, no no, wait... it's someone leaning on a loo having pumped... Uhmmm, oddest bloody Rorschach I've ever seen. I know, I'll colour it in.

Annie said...

Prolix, jolly good! I await your doodles with interest.

Dan, I'll do the analysing, thank you very much. You colour it in, that's the idea...

prolix said...

Don't say I didn't warn you

If it means that I am insane, it would be nice if you could just make it up and pretend that it means I am a stable and grounded individual with perfectly normal thoughts etcc... Ta.

Anonymous said...

So, am I mental then?

Interested to hear the results

Anonymous said...

Cheers Annie,

Pretty much as I expected I guess. Except you failed to note the BNP logo on the t-shirt of the man about to be squished, I'd just read an alarming story about them before doodling.

Oh, and it was a cheeseburger. Does this transform me into a sexual dynamo?

I thought not...

prolix said...

Thanks Annie,

This has really brightened up my day! A lot of it was eerily apt (the house, guitar, ninja and circle), some of it was a bit odd (the window, though really, what did I expect but with that crazy drawing) and other parts (mainly those drawn by Mr Angry) were hilarious! Thanks again!

Annie said...

You're welcome guys.

Okay Mr Angry, Mr BNP puts a whole different spin on it, it means you have no tolerance for intolerance, and like living in a multicultural country.

A cheeseburger, hmmm.... now if you'd drawn a fajita, that's hot.

Prolix, I never realised he was a ninja. Now I'm scared...

prolix said...

Yes... perhaps he was better as the mysterious masked figure. Although my mind is wandering and I'm now thinking that 'nunchakus of love' would be a *great* songtitle.