Saturday, October 07, 2006

Mix tape

All the cool kids are doing it, so I want a go. But it's not so much a podcast as a, um, mix tape. Very low-fi, very dubious quality, such as you made to try and charm your love interest when you were fifteen. Consider yourself my love interest, dear reader.

I am not talking on this. I do not have a microphone, I don't know how, and I hate my voice, which when broadcast sounds like Eliza Doolittle trying to imitate the Duchess of Devonshire.

It is not what I planned, as it's limited to tunes that are non-DRM, (again, thanks Matt.) It will get better, this was just a practice run but it took a while & I couldn't bear to bin it.

Without rhyme or reason, I give to you, the Slaminsky Mix Tape.

Love in a Trashcan The Raveonettes - Glamorous, 60s style but modern garage band, from DENMARK (thanks Rad.)

The Night Of Kittin's Messy Dream
Miss Kittin vs PJ Harvey Thom Yorke vs Corey Hart vs Human League
Yes, it's a mashup, via the very talented DJ Earworm.

A Minha Menina Beck
I believe this is a cover of Os Mutantes, the mentalist 60s psychedelic Brazilians. Portugeuse translations are very welcome.

Heartbeats The Knife
The Knife are great, though I wouldn't want to meet them down a dark alley. To me, this song treads a fine line between romantic and psychopathic, which is interesting.

Bossy remix Kelis
If I were a man, or gay, I would be in love with Kelis, she's a total fox. I like the way she keeps innovating with every new album. Go, Kelis!

Gentlemen Who Fell - Mila Jovovich
Another fox, the beautiful Mila can also sing. Tsk.

Buenas noches, listeners.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely stuff!

One thing though... When I said "don't use DRM stuff" I meant don't use actual DRM files in Audacity. You can still do the burn-to-CD-and-rip-back-into-iTunes method to remove the DRM wherever possible, and use the re-ripped tracks in the mixtape.

BTW, mine is ready now too! Stick it in your iPod, you know you want to. :-)

Annie said...

Hurrah! Will stick in on immediately.

Right right right, understood, I just don't have any CDs lying around the place at the moment, and clever JHymn not working for me...

BiB said...

I am listening to the Gentlemen Who Fell one. Is that something else? But very lovely it is too. And thank you for making the effort for us.

Anonymous said...

Raveonettes are from Denmark mate, but yes, they are faboo! I've been to see them and can confirm that Sharin Foo is an uberfox! As is Kelis, as is Milla Jovovich! Kelis' video for milkshake did funny things to me. ;)

Annie said...

Thanks, BiB. No no, this is the only one - I don't know why it decided to call itself after the last track when I'd named it the Mix Tape, but there we have it. Can you see another one...?

Oops, Rad, I stand corrected. Sharin Foo, what a great name.

Señor Tronosco said...

Magic 'tape'. Thanks.

The original Heartbeats, Woo Hoo!It is a bit dark but surprisingly less so than the Jose version.

Unknown said...

i'm still not yet into this podcast thingy. is it arousing?

Annie said...

You're welcome, Señor T. You'll grow to love the Knife version, believe me.

Treespotter, hahaha! Surely that's for you to say... (if you find it arousing, my work here is done.)

Anonymous said...

My one is highly arousing, but not in that way. :-)

I'm going to have a mashup by the mighty DJ Earworm on the next one, too. He's brilliant. If you're into that sort of thing.

Billy said...

Just got round to listening to this. Excellent stuff, obviously it would be better with a bit of your talking in between tracks but I'm not going to go about it.

:)

Del said...

Loving this as I reach the halfway point, almost unable to contain my excitement at the treats to come! Wonderful.

Shyha said...

I like it very much too!

Annie said...

Matt, don't be modest.

Thank you Billy. No no no, no talking, don't make me - I'm better at writing than talking, this is why blogs suit me.

Del, high praise indeed from you! :-)

Cheers Shyha!

Del said...

Liked the second half too. Thank you! Bravo! Encore!