Thursday, July 24, 2008

Everything must go

Comes a day when you realise you don't play your records anymore, they've been sitting in a cardboard box in a cupboard gathering dust, along with the speakers, the amp, the busted turntable... They've been superceded by CDs, by MP3s, probably next by a microchip you can slot directly into your brain or something.

So, it's time for the great record clearout. Here, listed for your delight, are the entire contents of my dusty box. Does anyone want them? Or I'll stick 'em on Freecycle...

(NB these do not entirely accurately reflect all my catholic musical taste. Girls have a great facility for suddenly passionately caring about the bands that their current boy of choice are into... I never realised, for example, that I had so many chin-stroking 'nice' jazz albums, for example. Then I remembered who it was that I was trying to impress back in the day.)

Anyway, can't bear to offload them to the charity shop, so they're free to a good home. You will have to pick them up though. Or we can meet and have a drop off. DJ Del, I have put aside the Spacemen 3 for you.

Billie Holiday – The Lady and the Legend

Led Zeppelin 3 – (complete with magic cover!)

PJ Harvey – Dry

The Throwing Muses – The Real Ramona

Astralasia – Sul E Stomp (I’ve no idea)

Jah Wobble – Visions of You 12 inch

The Best of Little Walter

The Pixies – Come On Pilgrim EP

Dinosaur Jr – Bug

Happy Mondays – Step On

Sly and the Family Stone Greatest Hits

Al Green Latest Hits

The Goats – Typical American 12 inch (did I ever post about the Goats? Remind me to sometime)

Urban Species & MC Solaar – Listen 12 inch

Robert Johnson Delta Blues

Throwing Muses – Throwing Muses

Cry Cisco – AfroDizziAct – a house 12 inch which samples The African Queen, I seem to recall.

Happy Mondays – Bummed

Funkadelic – Free Your Mind and Your Ass Will Follow

“i” AR Kane

Spacemen 3 – The Perfect Prescription

My Bloody Valentine – Isn’t Anything

Un-named live album by Spacemen 3

John Lee Hooker – Urban Blues

Led Zeppelin II

The Best of Kid Creole and the Coconuts (he was much underrated, oh look, fuck off, alright?)

Bjork –Debut

Grace Jones Island Life (she was much – oh fuck off.)

Stevie Wonder Innervisions

Sister Sledge Thinking of You 12 inch

Disco Nites – 16 Giant Disco Hits!

Jimi Hendrix Experience – Smash Hits

Atlantic Soul Classics – 16 Hit Tracks

Throwing Muses – House Tornado

Mary Margaret O Hara – Miss America

Portishead – Numb EP

Abba – Greatest Hits

Blondie – Parallel Lines – actually I think I might have to keep this one.

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

Bomb the Bass (remember when they had to change the name during the bombing of Iraq first time around? Also Massive Attack had to change to just ‘Massive’ hahaha!) – Bug Powder Dust 12 inch

Depth Charge – Hubba Hubba Hubba EP

New Order – Blue Monday 12 inch

Lou Reed – Transformers (I’m 15 again! Dancing around Cathy’s bedroom to ‘Makeup’ whilst applying eyeliner very badly!)

Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are you Experienced

The Velvet Underground – The Velvet Underground

Charlie Parker Memorial Volume 3

Elmore James – Red Hot Blues

Definition of Sound – Now Is Tomorrow (remember ‘Wear Your Love Like Heaven’?)

Tricky – Overcome 12 inch – He looks very fetching in a wedding dress on the cover

Furniture – Slow Motion Kisses 12 inch

13th Floor Elevators – The Bull of the Woods

The Bessie Smith collection

A Tribe Called Quest – Can I Kick It? 12 inch

John Coltrane - Coltrane Jazz

Robert Johnson – King of the Delta Blues Singers

Slanted and Enchanted – Pavement

The Sugar Cubes – Life’s Too Good

Bessie Smith – Empty Bed Blues

John Coltrane – Blue Train

Method Man & Mary Jane Blige - You’re All I Need To Get By

Sonny Rollins Quartet – Worktime

Stravinsky – The Rites of Spring (how did this get in here?)

G Love & Special Sauce – Cold Beverage

L7 – Pretend We’re Dead 12 inch

Fugees Blunted on Reality

Louis Armstrong - Sensational Satchmo

The Breeders – Last Splash

John Coltrane – A Love Supreme

My Bloody Valentine – You Made Me Realise EP

Jimi Hendrix Experience – Electric Ladyland

Spacemen 3 – Playing With Fire

Piano Music of Eric Satie

Portishead – Dummy

The Smiths – Hatful of Hollow

Tricky – Maxinquaye

Joni Mitchell – Blue

Beastie Boys – Ill Communication

Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin

Lee Perry – The Heart of the Congos

Red Snapper – Reeled & Skinned EP

20 comments:

Del said...

Oh, that's so sweet, getting stuff to impress the opposite sex. Well, I've done exactly the same thing, and continue to do so... I remember when I had a huge crush on a girl who works for Kerrang. I suddenly loved lots of heavy rock...

This is exceedingly generous of you. I'm already excited just by the put aside Spacemen 3 record.

To be honest, I would happily take the lot. But that's unfair, so I will only list the things I really want here so other people get a go. (And I've starred the stuff I would actually kill for!)

PJ Harvey – Dry*
The Throwing Muses – The Real Ramona
The Pixies – Come On Pilgrim EP*
Dinosaur Jr – Bug
Throwing Muses – Throwing Muses
Happy Mondays – Bummed
Spacemen 3 – The Perfect Prescription*
My Bloody Valentine – Isn’t Anything*
Un-named live album by Spacemen 3*
Bjork –Debut*
Jimi Hendrix Experience – Smash Hits
Throwing Muses – House Tornado
Portishead – Numb EP
Bomb the Bass – Bug Powder Dust 12 inch
New Order – Blue Monday 12 inch
Lou Reed – Transformers
Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are you Experienced
The Velvet Underground – The Velvet Underground (if by that you mean the 1969 release, rather than the Banana "& Nico" which I already have)
Slanted and Enchanted – Pavement
The Sugar Cubes – Life’s Too Good*
John Coltrane – Blue Train
L7 – Pretend We’re Dead 12 inch
The Breeders – Last Splash*
John Coltrane – A Love Supreme
My Bloody Valentine – You Made Me Realise EP*
Jimi Hendrix Experience – Electric Ladyland
Spacemen 3 – Playing With Fire (I own this, but my copy is very battered!)
Portishead – Dummy*
The Smiths – Hatful of Hollow
Tricky – Maxinquaye*
Beastie Boys – Ill Communication

God, I've still put loads. Sorry everyone else! Do shout if you want stuff I've bagsied.

I can only say it's a compliment, that is a stunning collection of music. There's nothing there I wouldn't want. Even the doubles we have between us would be gratefully accepted by my DJ friends.

Annie said...

Hurray! that makes me very happy.

Rosie said...

i hate that i live in dublin. you're a tease, Annie.

patroclus said...

This is indeed a very impressive collection. I'd offer to fight Del for the Spacemen 3 albums, particularly as I lost mine (by entrusting them to a friend when I left university in 1993, and never seeing that friend again), but I get the feeling Del has the right equipment for playing vinyl, and thus will get more use out of them than I would!

Istvanski said...

Mary Margaret O'Hara?

Were you trying to seduce your local priest?

Annie said...

Rosie, I'm sorry petal. When are you (and Annie) coming to visit the big bad smoke then? If you can hang on for a bit, I might even be able to offer you a sofabed...

There's a picture, an expectant Patroclus fighting the (very tall) Mr Del. Aw, that's very sad. I'm pretty sure all of Spacemen 3 is available on Soulseek if you don't have a record player...

Istvanski, really she's a Canadian. Sister of Catherine O' Hara (who is in Beetlejuice, film fans) and barking mad. But very talented. She never released another album after this one. You can find some of her stuff on Youtube.

Del said...

I can happily transfer stuff to mp3from vinyl if anyone wants it (although, as you say, other sources will be much quicker and probably better quality!)

Del said...

And even I wouldn't stoop to fighting a pregant woman. Let me know when the baby drops and we can reschedule.

Tim F said...

Well I like the sound of the Kid Creole. He was indeed underrated.

Also bagsy the MMO'H and the Lee Perry if nobody else needs it...

Bowleserised said...

Too late to offer to post the Throwing Muses/MMOH vinyl on a fan site! Folks'd kill for that, but it looks like it's going to a good home.

Annie said...

Tim, they are yours, but will they get to Thailand in one piece?

Bowleserised, I suddenly feel like this episode of the Twilight Zone featuring Mark Hamill out of Star Wars, when he's a little boy a goblin tells him to hold onto all his toys and comics as they will make him rich, then when he's a really old man, a collector discovers him and his collection of really old toys and comics, they auction them all off and he becomes a millionaire...

Billy said...

I love Mary Margaret O'Hara.

And Spaceman 3.

Rosie said...

you'll regret saying that.

i might be over on the weekend of the 16th... i'll keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

The Goats! Enough to make me de-lurk. I saw the Goats live when I was at uni. They were supporting Fishbone and Bad Brains. That was a crazy show.

It's been a long time since I was capable of playing vinyl. I don't even have a CD player anymore (well, I do but it's in the loft). It's all MP3, all the time round my way. Stitch that, Neil Young!

Rad said...

Have to agree with Del, that really is a sweet collection mate. I'd love to have some of it but I don't even have a turntable anymore.

Annie said...

Rosie - no no I won't.

Hey Shane - me too! Possibly we were at the very same show! Or even the same uni. Are you my Telegraph visitor? I thought you were someone else entirely. Reading the stats is like trying to read tea-leaves.

Thanks Rad, that gives me a warm glow.

Anonymous said...

I saw them at the UEA in Norwich. But I imagine they played unis across the land...

Yep, I'm your Telegraph visitor. Well, I'm A Telegraph visitor. Maybe you have lots.

Annie said...

Me too! I was at UEA. It's a small blog world...

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's a bizarre coincidence.

That gig must have been late 93 or early 94? A scarily long time ago, at any rate.

Bowleserised said...

And I would have been going to gigs at the UEA then too. But Therapy?, Skunk Anansie and one of the Manic Street Preachers' last gigs with Richey. Sigh.