Thursday, April 13, 2006

Red

I like red hair. Do not understand the prejudice against it, or why people call them Duracell and mock them by calling them 'gingers' with a soft g. In Spanish they are called pelirrojo, which is a very satisfying word to say. In fact when I see people with red hair in the street I have to stop myself staring at them like they're rock stars or something. I was gazing at a girl on the bus the other day with auburn hair which looked so pretty in the spring sunshine, when another girl got on the bus with long curly red hair down to her waist, it looked like a forest fire and was purely amazing.

It was then I decided, this, um, fetish should not go wasted, so I'm going to start a photography project. Just for the hell of it. And maybe put it on Flickr. Are you a redhead? Want to have your picture taken? Know a redhead? Send 'em my way. (Or I'll be reduced to taking snaps of people in the street, like some low-life paparazzi.)



Red head from Green Wing. He's not ugly.

7 comments:

DraconianOne said...

My late grandmother told me that when she was a young girl growing up in Cork, she went to the cinema with a boy who had asked her out but wouldn't sit with him in the double seats at the back because "he was a red head and couldn't be trusted".

It was very funny at the time.

DC said...

You forgot to mention that they stink of p... errm, forget I said that and whatever you do don't tell the missus.

patroclus said...

I love red hair. I desperately want red hair, but I always seem to forget to tell Toni & Guy this. And I love Mac from Green Wing (but not as much as I loved him last time around, fortunately, because that was very time-consuming). I therefore declare us kindred spirits!

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for redheads. Complete walk over. The dark reds. Mmmm.

I blame Tori Amos,Shirley Manson and Suzanne Vega.

I'm one of the few men that are. Everyone else is all about the blondes with big norks.

David said...

Nothing wrong with a feisty Ging-er. Although mine is a cat. Does that count?

Cream said...

I once ended up with a red wig after a New Year's eve party! Got stopped by the police and nearly gave my flatmate a heart attack!
Red hair can be lethal!

Annie said...

Beautifully expressed as ever, G. Maybe there'll be many to admire in NY...

It's funny now Tom! Did she mean they have a passionate reputation?

US, wash your mouth out with soap and water! You don't deserve the red-headed girl. (Like Charlie Brown remember? He always liked the girl with the red hair).

Patroclus, we are kindred spirits for sure. (Mac was the only reason I watched Green Wing, must admit.)

Adrian - norks, great word. Thank you for enriching my vocabulary.

Hate to cast doubt, but are you 100% sure that Tori and Shirley Manson are really red-heads? I could be very wrong but they look like they had a little assistance from Clairol. That's cheating.

Greavsie. Yay!! You're back!! Hmmm... oh go on then. Though if I ever manage to get any actual people to participate they might be a mite insulted.

Cream, LOL. How I wish there were pictures ;-)