Monday, December 03, 2007

Ho ho ho

It's that time of year again when the mood comes upon me to give gifts (of electronic linkery) to my regulars. Last year it was virtual presents, but this year it is all music. (Was going to do actual mp3s but the thought of uploading them all onto YouSendIt was a bit too much, so they're only YouTube clips. Soz. I still thought long and hard about what you'd like.)

Happy holidays!

Rockmother gets some Belle Stars action
(I met Miranda, the saxophonist with the big hat, now working as a makeup artist, and she told me that she NEVER KNEW HOW TO PLAY THE SAXOPHONE - ooh, the perfidy of the pop world!)

No idea of Wyndham's musical preferences - so he get this rather beautiful and moving tribute to Sergio Leone - in lego

Annie - gets some Protection (I don't know if you like Massive Attack but saw this video on holiday in a hotel room in Saigon and was absolutely riveted, so thought a budding cinematographer might like it too)

Arabella gets vintage Sly with his Family Stone - as a woman of style and sophistication I know you'll appreciate his fashion forwardness - check out his HAT!

Betty
gets another version of Quannum's I Changed My Mind, which she liked on a podcast.

For Ben, a fan of the elegantly dressed, it's Rita Hayworth doing Put the Blame On Mame. You don't get much more elegant than that. Yes I've posted it before, but worth posting again, I feel.

For BiB, Gin Soaked Boy by the Divine Comedy. I never heard this before, just was browsing and it made me think of you, for some reason.

I was racking my brains for Geoff, til I saw that he's a fan of lady reggae stars - voila! He gets Althea and Donna. I aspire to a 'fro like Donna's (or is it Althea's?) All together now: Love is all I bring, inna me khaki suit an ting...

Tim gets vintage Elvis Costelloe. Can't stop listening to this song, it's like an addiction...

Dan gets What I Like Most About You Is Your Girlfriend - it is a fabulously strange song and a strange video, like Dan's fabulously strange blog.

DJ Del has quite enough music. He gets this Snoopy t-shirt instead.

Rad gets Kelis, lucky him. Mamma mia, she is hot!

for GSE, the slinky tango-influenced Gotan Project

I seem to recall that Alda went to see jazz in New York. I know nada about jazz, but you probably can't go wrong with John Coltrane...

For Greavsie, a baby Stevie Wonder singing one of my favourite tunes.

LC - what else, but the original Monkey Man?

Llewtrah - gets some Killer Queen. I've no idea why. It's worth checking out just for Freddie's fur coat.

Matt - some of the glorious Mala Rodriguez, the only one I could think of who'd possibly like flamenco-flavoured hip hop in Spanish

Marsha gets Screamin Jay Hawkins I Put A Spell On You - what showmanship! And some supreme arsing around at the beginning. Old Screamin' Jay was claustrophobic and used to have panic attacks when they shut him in the coffin at the beginning of his act.

Billy gets some So-Called because he has eclectic, not to say odd, taste in music

Patroclus
- Bullets - Tunng - not so impressed with the song, but crazy about the odd home-made looking video, which is like Space Oddity crossed with a 70s children's programme

Taiga has We Are Scientists cover of Sigur Ros' Hoppipolla - I like the video of the old people acting like delinquents.

The Curve gets my old favourite, Geno. This was the last time pop stars could get away with beanie hats like Benny off Crossroads.

Istvanski gets Jimi (playing Hear My Train A Comin)

Emma gets a little bit of bluegrass. And George Clooney.

Bad Sarah gets our heroine Deborah with an unexpected backing band

Phew, I'm exhausted. I may take to my bed now, with a flagon of egg-nog.

28 comments:

Billy said...

Annie, you have done very well with that tune, it is splendid!

LC said...

Right back atcha.

Geoff said...

Thank you, Annie.

I'm off down the bingo now you've got me in the mood for some top ranking.

Quink said...

Perfect! If only my relations had such taste and discernment. Thank you so much...

Ben

Istvanski said...

A very inspired choice, Annie...cheers!
Good over all post as well, 'cos I've managed to kill a few hours watching these clips and then I browsed some other stuff on YouTube connected to this. You'll never know where it can lead you. One minute you're watching Neil Hannon, the next you're watching the rather bizarre promo to "Kinky Boots" by Patrick MacNee and Honor Blackman. Strange, but very entertaining and it beats watching TV.

Anonymous said...

Humbug!

Del said...

Wow! That T Shirt is amazing! So much so that I might actually buy it for real. High praise indeed. I am most discerning about my T Shirt choices, believe you me...

Unknown said...

Thank you Annie. I love "I Put A Spell On You" (although I must admit to being more familiar with the Nina Simone version!) I want to be able to laugh like Screaming Jay Hawkins now.

An all-round lovely idea, Thanks again.

Tim F said...

Thanks, babe. I've spent more than half my life wanting to be that man. Bastard.

David said...

I just commented to say 'I love you' ;-)

Rad said...

Thank you mate. I promise if I ever do get sexy time with Kelis I'll invite you over. ;)

Anonymous said...

How funny, I have only this very month been listening repeatedly to David Byrne's Ennio Morricone playlist on davidbyrne.co! It's, like, synchronicity!

Anonymous said...

That was me, by the way.

Wyndham.

Annie said...

Good good Billy. It's hip-hop Klezmer!

Wow, LC. Stunning video. Everybody loves Johnny...

You're welcome, Geoff and Ben.

Istvanski, I know - I loove YouTube, could happily spend hours on there.

Aw Destructor - here, have some
Johnny Cash does NIN

Del, I saw someone wearing it in the pub and nearly asked to take a photo. Luckily I remembered there was the internet and so saved myself from embarrassment.

He's got a real horror film laugh Marsha. I bet he practised it in the mirror.

He's nowhere near as cool as you, Tim.

Ah, Greavsie. (He wrote that song for Nelson Mandela when he was still in prison, which makes it less soppy.)

Rad, 'sexy time'! Hahaha!

Wyndham, synchronicity indeed! That David Byrne site is great.

Anonymous said...

I love you!! I love my pressie Annie! You know - I remember watching that Debbie Harry/ muppets episode when i was just wee with mom and dad in the basement living room so that's really brought back a sweet memory. I loved the muppets!

Betty said...

Thank you kindly. God made me funky (well, not really). I'd try to watch the rest of 'em, but there's someone in their sickbed upstairs and I don't want to wake them up :(

Matt said...

Doesn't Annie just give the BEST pressies everyone? Cheers babe!

That tune is totally going on the next podcast (whenever that may be) if I can find an mp3 of it. Unless somebody wants to send me an mp3 of it...?

Annie said...

You're very welcome. Aw, does Geoff have man flu? I think I might have caught his man flu. And no Betty to make me Lemsip either.

Matt, it's on its way to you, courtesy of Soulseek...

Unknown said...

Muchas muchas gracias mi amiga querida! Love the song (and the film too) and will be enjoying El Clooney when The Curve is at work - hee hee!!!

Anonymous said...

Darling, thank you. You are too kind. I got my 96-year-old pal addicted to youtube this weekend. Anyway, I'm going to listen to my song (and am going to nick Geoff's Uptown Top Ranking too) and listen to it constantly in my (chauffeur-driven) groovy little Fiat from last year. Thank you, thank you.

BiB said...

Sorry, that was me.

BiB said...

I meant, "...take my song and listen to it..." I do apologise.

llewtrah said...

Darn it, now I have Queen lyrics stuck in my head!

rockmother said...

Aw - thank you SO much. I wish I had been one of the Belle Stars - they were so coool! Thank you thank you Annie and get better won't you. XXX

Arabella said...

Thank you for the gift of the funk. I quite like the red turban too!

patroclus said...

Awww, thank you Annie - that is indeed a great video, and I like the song as well (I like all the instruments and samples they use). Top choice!

Annie said...

No no no, thank YOU.

Cheers RoMo xxx

Alda said...

Annie, how delightful! And how thoughtful! - I love the video, and you're right, you cannot go wrong with John Coltraine.

You rock!