Saturday, February 14, 2009

Total aubergine

So, Valentine's Day. Picked up the keys to my friends' house, the cat was happy to see me as he's a big soft dopey ginger lovebug who purrs like a jet engine whenever he has some company. (He exudes a Buddha-like contentment which would be infuriatingly smug in a human being but is strangely calming in a cat. Being around him is chilling me out. That and the amazing silence of my friends' house. Hear that? That sound of silence? They're playing my tune... )

Went for breakfast at the Lemon Monkey (my, Stokey is posh these days) served by lovely flirty French waiter, ended up blowing lots of money in Church Street secondhand bookshops (book on Matisse & old Penguins) and, er, a Very Expensive Dress. Oh well, I'm doing my bit to keep the economy afloat.

It wasn't my fault. There used to be a shop selling doors and bits of wood which is now a vintage clothes shop, it was so amazing in there that I felt like I'd dreamed the place up and almost had to rub my eyes and pinch myself to believe it was real - stacked full of beautiful old clothes by Dior, 40s and 50s dresses in great condition, all at pretty good prices. I wanted everything. (It's called Strutt, visit it if you're ever in Church Street, ladies, and fashion-forward gentlemen.)

So I now own a sparkly aubergine dress by Missoni, which sounds revolting but I think it's beautiful. I feel guilty, but I love it.

And it's actually a SAVING, because the Sony noise-cancelling headphones I'd ordered from Amazon failed to arrive, something went wrong with the order, and they were more expensive than the dress! Trust me, this is female logic.

Anyway, as Bowleserised posted recently as decreed by French Elle magazine, "jamais de total-look aubergine" so what colour shoes and what colour tights with an aubergine dress? (will post a photo when I get home.)

Acqui esta...

10 comments:

kalimak said...

I've been wondering about the French Elle discrimination against aubergine. I personally love that color. And I imagine a lot of other people love it too. So I think it might be some kind of French conspiracy--pretending that they're revolted by it only to snatch it from the world and have monopoly over it.

I don't know though if a "total look aubergine" would not be a bit dull...

Depending on the cut, that is, if the dress is fairly simple, I think you could try gold accessories. Or maybe beige, different kinds of yellow... Or be very bold and try turquoise.

Arabella said...

I'd say the darkest silver you can find, almost gunmetal.
I want to say "jamais de total look aubergine" all day because it sounds good.

Church Street, Kensington? There was a Bus Stop boutique there in 1978 where I bought a kimono robe - you were supposed to wear it over drainpipe jeans; and lots of book shops - nice to know some survived.

Bowleserised said...

Arabella beat me too it. Dark silvers, ever so slightly shimmery. I too have a lot of aubergine in the wardrobe and I never know what to wear with it. I love the sound of your frock. Vintage doesn't fit me so I'm extra super jealous.

Anonymous said...

Or a rather fetching bright blue, Primark has just a pair of tights at the moment for 1 pound in a super vibrant shade and would bring out the bluey/purply of the aubergine. Or, because aubergine can go either to the blue side or the brown, you could go with orange. Be bold Slaminsky.

GreatSheElephant said...

that's it - orange. A burnt orange rather than a yellowy one though.

Rosie said...

looking forward to the photo. must remember to put one up of those shoes...

Annie said...

Thanks, ladies, that's helpful. Misiula, I think they like aubergine but not TOTAL aubergine. Arabella, it was Church Street in Stoke Newington - I like Church Street in Kensington too, good secondhand shops there. Apparently Princess Diana used to nip in from Kensington Palace around the corner to donate her designer wear.

Rosie - SHOES!!! Let's see 'em.

rockmother said...

Ooh - that dress sounds gorge. How dark aubergine? If not too dark then mustard tights or chocolate brown. Need photo. Need photo! I want to go to that shop NOW. I might have to make a special half term foray. xx

PS: Arabella - I used to LOVE Bus Stop - great shop - my mum got all her clothes from there and then I did.

Anonymous said...

Stupid vintage clothes shops not supplying enough stupid clothes for stupid men. I've had to resort to mannish-looking blouses in the past and dammit I'll do it again.

Anonymous said...

BLACK OPAQUE TIGHTS - no other colour will do.