Tuesday, March 14, 2006

20 tracks

Inspired by Matt, and Quixotic Evil.

I tag the Curve and G, just because I know they have good taste. And they're both slackers.

1. A track from your early childhood

Bohemian Rhapsody. Distinct memories of sitting at the top of our stairs, age 4, singing along at the top of my voice.

2. A track that you associate with your first love
Gypsy Eyes, Jimi Hendrix

3. A track that reminds you of a holiday trip
Holed up in an unheated cottage in Wales in February, we played Spacemen 3’s Perfect Prescription on constant rotation, especially Transparent Radiation. Reminds me of being cold and damp now.

4. A track that you like but wouldn’t want to be associated with in public
Must be going soft in the head in my old age – it’s Erasure, A Little Respect. Anybody see the episode of Scrubs where everyone was singing it, for no apparent reason?

5. A track that accompanied you when you were lovesick
Call me a hippy, but probably Joni Mitchell’s All I Want

6. A track that you have probably listened to most often
My ipod tells me that it’s Arcade Fire, Rebellion

7. A track that is your favourite instrumental
Don’t like instrumentals, I miss voices. And like song lyrics.

8. A track that represents one of your favourite bands
If You Want Me To Stay, Sly and the Family Stone. I know next to nothing about them, but they were pure genius, especially this song.

9. A track which represents yourself best
Ay, what a question. Lord knows. Funkadelic, Red Hot Mamma? Chaka Khan, I’m Every Woman? Actually, at the moment I feel more like Blondie’s Sunday Girl.

10. A track that reminds you of a special occasion (which one?)
Velvet Underground, Venus in Furs. Getting drunk for the very first time, round Emma's house.
11. A track that you can relax to
I Melt With You, from Nouvelle Vague. Aaaah…

12. A track that stands for a really good time in your life
Fascinating Rhythm, William Orbit. Our friend used to drive us onto campus for Friday’s club night in her pink Morris Minor, making it “dance” to this tune by turning the wheel fast.

13. A track that is currently your favourite
Rihanna’s Pon de Replay. I realise that this was out last summer, what do you want, cutting edge or something?

14. A track that you’d dedicate to your best friend
Again, Velvet Underground, Femme Fatale. Not just because she is one, but for the stupid dance we used to do to it when we were fifteen.

15. A track that you think nobody but you likes
Nobody will confess to liking the Macarena, but everybody charges the dance-floor when it’s played.

16. A track that you like especially for its lyrics
Stevie Wonder, Don’t You Worry About A Thing. Especially for the bit where he’s chatting up a girl at the beginning. “I speak very, very fluent Spanish...Can you say Chevrolet?” If someone said to me what he says in this song, I’d marry them.

17. A track that you like that’s neither English nor German
Manu Chao, Me Gustas Tu. Spanish and French. (and a bit of English)

18. A track that lets you release tension best
The Cult, She Sells Sanctuary. Five minutes of jumping around the room to this wakes me up before work. We saw the Cult play in Hammersmith a million years ago, unfortunately our seats were right up in the gods so our view was impeded by the ceiling. All you could see was this skinny pair of legs in black drain-pipes running around the stage.

19. A track that you want to be played on your funeral
What funeral? I plan to be immortal. Okay, if I must, something by Arvo Pärt, like Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten. That should have them wailing.

20. A track that you’d nominate for the “best of all times” category
Ah, the killer question. Okay, just at this minute, and I'll probably wish I chose something else the second I post it, Nina Simone's I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good. No, wait...

12 comments:

Annie said...

Can I come to your fashion show? Can I? I'll clap, a lot. (Course I remember My Bloody Valentine. Good tune!)

Annie said...

Oh, and when I saw my friend's degree show, all the students played different tracks for their slots, but the one that worked best as a walking speed on the catwalk for the models was Tom Waits, Heart Attack and Vine. So there you go.

Anonymous said...

Re #5: You're a hippy.

Great list, I give it 8 out of 10 (mine gets a 5). :-)

Alda said...

What a great meme! Many things resonated with me... Bohemian Rhapsody, except that I was about 14 which makes us about 10 years apart in age I should think... and lovesick I listened to Joni Mitchell, too (is there anyone else?).

I may have to post one of those... except I'd need some serious time to think about things... which might be good. Hm.

Annie said...

Matt, you can't rate your own a 5! (Oh no, I thought I'd left that hippy reputation behind when I left school...)

Good good, Alda, can't wait to read it. I know people get all embarrassed about doing memes but I love reading them.

G, do I know him? You can whisper it to me...

Natsthename said...

Ohhh, that was fun to read!!

Anonymous said...

I can so give mine a 5! I've thought about it a lot afterwards and remembered some tunes I like/remember more than the ones I memed. Might have to re-read it in about 6 months or so and see if the list is the same then. Then I might meme it again, and tag everyone who did it this time (that I know of).

(Actually that's a really good idea, isn't it? Somebody remind me of that in about 5 and a half months...)

Anonymous said...

That iPod shuffle meme was good to repeat (because it automatically comes out different each time, and even for a meme it's a real cop-out to write). As for coming back in 6 months and making everyone redo this one, I'm tempted to go and write a post dated for about that time to jump out and remind us ;-)

What's with the rating? These things are always good fun (and realising after that you should have put something else is all part of it...)

Anonymous said...

Give in to your temptation, QE. I think it's a great idea, even if I may say so myself. :-)

I dunno why I gave a rating, it's really about the quality of the songs/tracks on the list, and I thought Annie's was really good. Better than mine anyway. ;-)

Annie said...

Thanks Nat! Nat, I should have tagged YOU - doh! Please consider yourself tagged.

Matt, QE - I will leave it up to you techie geniuses to sort out a reminder...

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Do you know how the Macarena started?

Some guys were slapping mosquitoes, arms, legs, back of head, knees...and suddenly, it sounded like a song...

Annie said...

Noooo. No way. But a good story ;-)