Sunday, November 05, 2006

Haircut

Yes it's time for number 3, the Slaminsky Eighties Haircut Mix Tape.

It is a era that gets some flak, especially for its style - it was the decade that loved the synthesizer, it brought us Timmy Mallet and the Birdy Song, but there were some diamonds buried away in there.

On here is a random mixture, which is in no way chronological. It starts off poppy and then went a bit alternative and melancholy. I got carried away and could have made it very very long as I kept remembering bands who could come under the eighties banner, and that was leaving out the big hitters like the Smiths and the Pixies (The Throwing Muses! Dinosaur Jr!) but thought, let's keep it short and sweet.

Enjoy.


9 comments:

The Curve said...

1981 was the greatest year for Music in the History of the World.

The Human League: Dare
Heaven 17: Penthouse and Pavement
Simple Minds: Sons and Fascination
Japan: Tin Drum
David Byrne and Brian Eno: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts..

need I go on...

Rad said...

Soft Cell: Non Stop Erotic Cabaret is notable by it's absence in that list. The eighties started so promisingly Punk and New Wave were still major forces, Ska, New Romantics, Futurists... Echo and The Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes. Then it went Beige and everyone put Phil Collins at number one for seven years.

Alda said...

Very cool! Thank you!

Now that I've downloaded it - is there any way to know what's on it??

Billy said...

Annie, I've downloaded this and will listen to it on my journey back to London tomorrow. Yay!

Annie said...

The Curve, Rad - you do one! Go on, you know you want to... (it'll be so much better than mine)

thanks Alda! Yes, forgot the track listing, soz:

1 & 2 Talking Heads - Slippery People and This Must Be The Place

3 Blancmange, Living On The Ceiling

4 Gary Numan, Are Friends Electric?

5 The Specials, Ghost Town

6 Blondie - I'm Always Touched By Your Presence, Dear

7 The Cocteau Twins - A Kissed Out Red Float Boat

8 The Cure - Lullaby

9 New Order - Ceremony

10 Ultra Vivid Scene - un-named mystery track

Billy - yay! Turn it up to 11!

Rad said...

Hearing living on the ceiling again was an utter joy. :)

Anonymous said...

Brought me back to my youth thanks annie.

Alda said...

Great - thanks!! I've got it on my ipod but haven't had a chance to listen yet. :)

Annie said...

Hurray! I hope you're all listening whilst wearing your power suits with shoulder pads.