Sunday, October 30, 2005

Adventures with the teenies

Rachael and I went to see Bloc Party, we booked it months ago as part of our "must see more live music" drive. We confess to each other that we haven't managed to listen to the album all the way through yet.

It is soon apparent that we have made a grave error, and have seemingly parachuted ourselves into foreign territory, namely the land of the Teens, without knowing their customs or ways or fitting in much.

There are lots of girls, far more than usual, maybe because the singer looks like this but they kind of melt away when the band comes on and we're surrounded by a million teenage boys.

I do believe it is the first ever gig for the boys in front of us, so very excited do they seem. They are so young that they haven't had to use a razor yet. I feel like Miss Marple, but this does not deter one of them from grabbing my arse. Boys, this is not suave. Not the way to win a woman's heart. I'm not feeling Bloc Party so much, the singer has the thinnest voice I've ever heard, and they lack depth to me.

But half-way through their set Rachael turns to me with a light in her eyes. "By this time next year I'm..." I can't hear what she's saying, she's nodding at the stage. I think she's saying "I'm going to be playing Brixton Academy" but in fact she's saying she wants to have stage dived, an ambition which I share. By the time we come out, totally drenched, we've both shed about a decade. Hurray for jumping up and down to live music.

6 comments:

DCveR said...

LOL Been in that same situation not long ago. Admit it: age is getting on you too! ;)

Wyndham said...

A mate of mine was meant to see them last night but he decided to get pissed with me instead. I'll tell him you said they were thin. It'll assuage his guilt.

Annie said...

Yep Dcver, definitely getting older. The other day at the cinema I found myself thinking "but why does it have to be so
LOUD?"

Glad to be of service Wyndham. Tch, he could've sold his ticket though - you're a bad influence.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

That young feller pinching you makes me think of an aunt who was living in an eastern country once.

There was food shortage, and there were 2 lines, the men's line and the ladies line.

My aunt noticed that the men's line was getting more food, and quicker. She joined the men's line.

A man pinched her bum. She stepped on his toes, ground her shoe heel into his foot and jabbed him with her elbow.

hee hee.

DCveR said...

Huuuummmm... you're not as bad as I thought. Otherwise you wouldn't notice it was loud, in fact you'd ask why didn't they turn on the sound system.

Annie said...

GG, ha ha! I like her style!
Dcver, good point. That's the stage my mum is at...