Friday, March 30, 2007

Imaginary crushes

So I'm reading Georges Simonon - about 'a little Russian Jew, suspected of the murder of his tarty wife who has disappeared' - I love this character, as well as the cover which made it irresistible, and it got me thinking about literary crushes.

My favourite is Valentin in Kiss of the Spider Woman, all about a revolutionary and a window dresser banged up in prison together during the military dictatorship in Argentina, for being respectively Marxist and gay. One of the best books I've ever read and technically genius, told entirely through dialogue, the film plots they tell each other to while away the time and the reports of the secret police who are spying on them. (Also a pretty good film with William Hurt and Raul 'Gomez' Julia.)

Molina falls in love with Valentin, though he is asked to betray him to save his own skin; Valentin ends up sleeping with Molina, more out of love and affection than desire. It is all about the idea of manhood and what constitutes bravery, I wish I could meet someone with the integrity of Valentin. Interesting that my ideal man should have been dreamed up by a gay author.

LC was saying that on dating websites women often claim they are 'looking for Mr Darcy', which is utterly preposterous. I bet you have some better literary crushes than that - go on, spill the beans, and tell us why...

14 comments:

Tim F said...

I did have a thing about Bathsheba Everdene in Far From the Madding Crowd, but it's difficult to know whether that's more about the Julie Christie effect than a tribute to Hardy's character building. And I got ensnared by more than one Zuleika Dobson in real life, which must say something...

Anonymous said...

I had a crush on Kip - the Indian sapper in The English Patient. I always imagined a love affair with someone exotic like him - I fancied I would be like Hana (the Canadian Nurse with a heart of gold that nursed Count László de Almásy before he died). It was quite a passionate love affair and I figured that he would be good in bed.

BS

Mangonel said...

Lord Peter Wimsey. The nose, the sensitive fingers, the ENORMOUS intellect - ooh la sire, I fear my bodice needs ripping . . .

And Clarice Starling. So-ooo-o - ooh, what's the word - penetrating.

Annie said...

Aren't you all literary... Ashamed to say I've read none of these - though I've seen Far From The Madding Crowd, and agree with you on Julie, Tim. Anyone named Bathsheba can't help but be a femme fatale.

Sar, I quite fancied Naveen Andrews in the film too.

Mangonel, I had to copy this from Wikipedia as it tickled me...

How I Came to Invent the Character of Lord Peter Wimsey, Sayers
“Lord Peter's large income ... I deliberately gave him ... After all it cost me nothing and at the time I was particularly hard up and it gave me pleasure to spend his fortune for him. When I was dissatisfied with my single unfurnished room I took a luxurious flat for him in Piccadilly. When my cheap rug got a hole in it, I ordered him an Aubusson carpet. When I had no money to pay my bus fare I presented him with a Daimler double-six, upholstered in a style of sober magnificence, and when I felt dull I let him drive it. I can heartily recommend this inexpensive way of furnishing to all who are disconnented with their incomes. It relieves the mind and does no harm to anybody.'

Anonymous said...

I can't think of any crushes at the mo but I can think of characters I've loathed. Is that allowed? Namely, almost everyone in anything by Dostoevsky who says, "This is my philosophy..." and then does a 150-page rant. Sometimes you've just got to be grateful people don't live for ever.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I've got a terrible blog-crush on Wyndham. Is that allowed too? (Don't worry Wyndham. Nothing willy/bum-related.) It's the mix of humour and gloom I can't help finding crushable.

Annie said...

Course it is, BiB... Though I find it highly intriguing, I think the idea of 'blog-crushes' might open up a whole can of worms...

rockmother said...

It's really pathetic but I had a massive crush on Holden Caufield when I first read Catcher In The Rye - so much so that I read the book three times in a row. I'm over it now you'll be glad to hear.

Annie said...

RoMo - I always thought Holden Caulfield was a tricky character - couldn't imagine what or who would make him happy...

rockmother said...

I know - that's why I am glad I'm over it - I had the most appalling taste in boys as a late teen/early 20's. Have a nice time in Berlin xx

Billy said...

They are all far too embarrassing so I'm going to pretend I can't remember. *slinks off*

violet said...

I know with absolute certainty that in real life I would fancy the arse off Elvis from Kevin Sampson's 'Awaydays', even though he's a pretentious idiot smackhead with stupid hair. I'm so glad noone else in the world has read that book.

J.J said...

Well, leaving aside the sad truth that I really would not have minded 'giving Darcy one'(years before anyone had even heard of Colin Firth - honestly!), the brooding Heathcliffe also rather does it for me.

More recently - Reacher, the all action hero fo Lee Child books - yes please!

Anonymous said...

I was hoping folk would pour their blog-crushes out on you, but they're being cautious. Buggery!