Sunday, October 21, 2007

Control

A movie review in bullet points:

  • It does look beautiful, in black and white, as you'd expect from Anton Corbijn
  • Old Anton somehow managed to find an actor who was beautiful, yet the spitting image of Ian Curtis, who wasn't very beautiful at all. Same same for Barney, Hooky, &, er, the other one. So, glossy but a bit unconvincing.
  • Samantha Morton is such a powerful actress, you have to be careful casting her - she tends to blow everyone else off the screen and make them seem like amateurs
  • Makes old Ian seem quite normal and demystifies him but still doesn't do as good a job as 24 Hour Party People, in which he comes across as barking mad and scary and is just seen a) calling Anthony Wilson a cunt and b) hanging himself
  • Somehow this meshed more with the picture I had in my head after obsessive listening to Joy Division as a teenager - after all, who calls their band after the Nazi's brothels, and writes songs with apocalyptic lyrics, other than someone very, very dark? Joy Division were pretty dark, and New Order were all sweetness and light - Control doesn't seem to capture that side of him at all.
  • What is it with the 2 hour movies these days? Am I imagining it, or did they use to be 1 hour and a half, max? Directors of the world - your movies are rarely worth two hours of my life. After 180 mins, my arse is crying out for mercy - in this case, I was ashamed to find myself thinking 'Oh just get on with it and hang yourself.'

9 comments:

Dan Flynn said...

Wey hey Annie,

Think you're right about Samantha Morton, such an astonishing actress. Thought her portrayal of Myra Hindley in Longford was, well, astonishing. Not seen Control but intend to as soon as.

Your mate in the celestial city of the North... Let's hear it for the Big M. SHHHHHHHHHHHHH (that's applause by the way.)

Dan Flynn said...

ps,

I once watched one of the Lord of the Rings films in Exeter and it was so long I got gangrene and had to have a bum removed. Now I can only watch movies from seating on the left.

Billy said...

I love it when I see a film and it's only 90 minutes long. I think albums are too long these days as well.

Annie said...

Hey Dan. What is it about Manchester that produces such great music? Must be all the rain, it drives people indoors to their bedrooms and their guitars.

Right Billy - bring back the 3 min pop single. (Hm. 180 minutes is 3 hours isn't it? Good job I'm not a maths teacher.)

Anonymous said...

in this case, I was ashamed to find myself thinking 'Oh just get on with it and hang yourself.'

I think this is a problem with any movie based on "real-life events", especially where the outcome is so well known. I felt the same while watching "A Mighty Heart"

90 minute movies leave time for a drink/coffee afterwards. Which is nice.

llewtrah said...

I've sat through 3 hour movies before. My bum went numb.

Del said...

Nice review. I'm curious about the movie having read Touching From a Distance, his wife's memoir they based it on. A real chucklefest that one.

Love Sam Morton. Bumped into her in a service station one year after Glastonbury. She's lahvely.

And yes, less is so often more. Billy's bang on about rekkids too. Just cos a CD holds 74 minutes doesn't mean you have to fill it. You don't buy a painting cos it's really big, do you?

Annie said...

Marsha - right - it's only civilized.

Llewtrah - I fear my attention span is not what it once was.

Del, I'd like to read her book a lot. I'm glad Samantha Morton is sound in real life. Yes, too much filler - or maybe people being too precious about their 'art'.

Del said...

Finally got round to watching it. And really enjoyed it, apart from the obvious flaws that you've mentioned above.

Ironically, because the film portrayed him more favourably, certainly than the book, I identified with him more. Which actually disturbs me a little.