Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Return of the ASBO family

I've had my issues with the ASBO family from upstairs - the time when every time they flushed, their waste water was somehow overflowing into our bath; the time we took in an elderly neighbour who they'd threatened with a knife; the operatic nightly rows of the mother and the moody teenage son; the time they dropped a machete into our back garden - but recently they've been strangely quiet, and I've almost missed them.

But not last night. At 3.00 in the morning, their TV (living room just over my bedroom) went on full blast. It's 3.00 am, I've just been in REM sleep. I cannot, CANNOT, be arsed to get out of bed, put on dressing gown, go downstairs, out into the cold, climb the concrete staircase up to their flat, knock on the door and ask them to turn it down. It's more than mortals can bear.

So I get out of bed, and bang the supersonic mouse noise repeller against my ceiling, WHACK, WHACK WHACK, in the hopes that this will transmit itself via a crude morse code into 'It's 3.00 am, turn the telly down, some of us have to be up at 6.00, you selfish cunts.' There is no change in the volume. I detach the end of my curtain pole and ram it against the ceiling, really bouncing up and down on the bed now in order to optimize the force and volume of the whacks against the ceiling. Whack whack whack. Whack whack whack whack whack.

Still no change. Are they deaf? Somehow I remember that I might have their phone number from when we had to get the plumber in to check their pipes. I go downstairs to find it... and guess what? It's MY TV that has somehow, mysteriously (and somewhat spookily) turned itself on and is making all the racket.

Sorry, ASBO neighbours. You must think I'm a psycho.

19 comments:

Pants said...

Ouch Slammo - award yourself an ASBO - I hear that some people consider them 'a badge of honour'. Wear with pride.

xxx

Pants

Arabella said...

That's feckin hilarious!

Billy said...

I laughed so loudly at that I fear my neighbours may want to slap an ASBO on me.

Daniel said...

Bwahahahahaha! Fantastic.

Anonymous said...

It's all very simple, Watson. The mice in your flat have turned on your television so that, in a fit of rage, you totally knacker the supersonic noise repeller by whacking it against the ceiling. I'm afraid to say, they're playing you for a mug, Annie.

Tim F said...

No, the ASBO family have remotely switched on your telly with their antisocial underclass voodoo.

They're trying to make you maaaaaad....

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Wonderful. I'm sure the ASBOs will forgive you.

Rad said...

Do you leave your TV on standyby?
Naughty Annie!

Anonymous said...

Annie Annie - that is so YOU to do that.

Quink said...

Ha ha - best laugh of the day.

Del said...

Fantastic. Still, they had it coming. Probably.

Anonymous said...

"Sorry, ASBO neighbours. You must think I'm a psycho."

I dunno, sounds like that's what passes for normal behaviour in their book. Loved the bit about bouncing on the bed to really whack the ceiling.

Istvanski said...

So by then you were wide awake. Once you sheepishly realised that this was your own doing, did you settle down to watch a bit of night time telly (with the volumne turned down, ofcourse)?

Have you seen ASBO people since?

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, agonisingly hilarious!! Poor poor you, but I´m sure the ASBO family deserved it, even if inadvertantly.

Remember kids - unplugg your tvs, for environmental and fire aversion reasons

Alda said...

HAR! That's the funniest thing I've read all day - but then I have this awful habit of laughing at others' misfortunes. Sorry!

Incidentally, what does ASBO stand for?

Annie said...

I know I know, I'm an idiot.

Wyndham, that is horribly plausible. I'm sure they come out when I've gone to work and crack open a beer, watch telly...

Istvanski, I haven't seen them since - I think they're frightened of me now.

Annie said...

Hey Alda - we cross-commented.

Anti-Social-Behaviour-Order. Blair's government was v fond of them, but I reckon they'll be redundant in a couple of years.

llewtrah said...

Err whoops. How embarrassing.

rockmother said...

Ah ha ha ha ha - that's hilarious. I bet they will be really quiet from now on.