Saturday, June 30, 2007

Grownups

I have a friend coming to stay on Friday, I haven't seen him in over 10 years. Once past the initial excitement (and I'm looking forward to seeing him a lot - we haven't kept in touch at all, so there's a lot of catching up) I start looking around and wondering what he's going to see. I wonder if I can paint the kitchen before Friday?

And, oh my God, the waterlogged, moldy,damp & depressing bathroom (have been having problems with a leak from the flat upstairs, been on the phone to Hackney council for the past three weeks, with no joy.) Now I used to visit him in his flat in Nottingham, where the bathroom was so arctic you could see your breath, & you had to put your coat on to go in it, but that was way back then, when we were all poor & feckless students, and everybody lived in a dive. Now he has a house, and a wife, and a baby to show for all this time passed. And I've got... um...

In short, he's a grownup. What is he going to think? Maybe I can book him into a hotel.

Really, I can't wait to see him, but it is making me think about what I've been doing all this time - it's sort of like New Year's Eve, renewing your passport and your birthday all rolled into one.

9 comments:

Annie said...

Shit - I've just noticed that the rugs on my bedroom floor are the exact same rugs that I had in my bedrooms as a student.

*hits head on desk*

rockmother said...

Ha ha h a - that's funny Annie. Anyway - he hasn't some to see your house - he's come to see you! I hope you have a great time xx

DCveR said...

Sometimes someone with less material stuff to show or with less family responsibilities has a lot more to show... usually plenty of life experiences. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't Fret. I'm sure he'll love to meet you for yourself alone!

Betty said...

What dcver said. Who knows, he might wish he had your freedom! Being a grown up isn't all it's cracked up to be.

S said...

Just tell him that all the time and money spent on your other properties has made you let this one slip a little bit.

Annie said...

thanks, my friends - I like James' idea though.

Anonymous said...

Annie, were you as heavenly ten years ago as you are now? If not, then he'll be bowled over. And surely only a certain type of tosser would mind about your rugs. But here's hoping he's gone fat and bald just in case.

Annie said...

Ah, BiB, sweeet... I'm counting on the fact that he's a Bloke & will not have noticed the decor.