Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Rantage

Graham keeps ringing me, dangling expensive 1 bed flats under my nose, and blithely ignoring my budget.

I just decided to find somewhere in one of the most expensive parts * of the most expensive city in the UK, at a time when people are asking insanely mental prices - so it's my own fault - but I refuse, REFUSE to buy a 'studio' which is basically a room and a bathroom so small you could not swing a hamster in it, let alone a cat.

I could live in Dagenham I guess... but then again...

Getting yourself into monstrous debt for the rest of your life in order to have your own place (and having an ulcer every time interest rates go up and never being able to afford to go out or have holidays ever ever again) when you can share and rent somewhere bigger is a cruel dilemma.

Meanwhile, Foxtons' Area magazine informs me that the rise in corporate lettings in London has more than doubled in the last two years, meaning that all the property investors have been snapping up buy-to-lets, so that's nice. For them.

Still, society has decreed that generating money in the City is worth more than teaching children to read and write, so I'm stuck with a piss-poor wage, rentals and sharing for the time being... Bah...

*I'm not looking in Knightsbridge, though I might as well be.


UPDATE:
Great to see these lovely ladies yesterday though - ladies, think of me today with 30 small children and a red wine hangover.

7 comments:

Betty said...

You've just summed up how mad and stupid Britain is at the moment. Priorities? Bah!

Tim F said...

Why are all estate agents called Graham?

And financial advisors called Simon?

Is there a law about it?

Anonymous said...

Don't talk to me about this - I have seen 10 flats now - none of them suitable. I am settling for a studio or am I sharing a flat with one of Cat's friends in Bethnal Green. I am so tired - it's so awful. I have never had a problem flat hunting before. Am now going South tonight - Camberwell. Cross your fingers - personally I don't care about area as long as it's clean for fucks sake is that too much to ask!

Timbo said...

Hackney is Knightsbridge isn't it?

Clair said...

I have a lovely one bed flat with a fabulous garden for sale in Crouch End if you're interested...seriously.

rockmother said...

Did you have a hangover? I felt ok. Ish. xx

Annie said...

Cheers, Betty. 'Mad and stupid' - maybe I should rename this blog thusly.

Tim, right - their proud parents look at them lying in the cradle and instead of saying 'he's going to be a footballer and play for England', they say 'he's going to make a great estate agent, let's call him Graham.'

Aw, Sar, our dream places are out there somewhere.

Timbo, yes indeed - I hear Mohammed Al Fayed is opening up a new branch of Harrods here, except they're going to call it 'Hoodies.'

Clair, Crouch End is lovely but just a bit tricky for me to commute to the East London badlands... I'm sure it'll be snapped up, with a garden and all...

RoMo, yes I did, but it's okay, I took it out on the kids... (only kidding. It was totally fab to see you.)