Wednesday, August 29, 2007

English Eccentrics

I'm on the bus home. I spy a man - it's not apparent at first he's a man, only when he speaks with a quite deep voice, because he's wearing a floral summer dress, pink birkenstocks, bright pink nail polish, carrying a bag with pink polka dots, a pink plastic bangle and pink plastic watch, white framed sunglasses a la Paris Hilton, and with long blonde hair streaked with Krazy Colour pink.

So there are trannies in London, I hear you say - tell us not old news. What is more unusual is that sitting across the aisle from him are his companions - a blonde woman in her early forties, and a little blond boy of about 7. The little boy, with total unself-consciousness, calls him dad. He is much more interested and excited about his new Sonic the Hedghog game than the fact that his dad is wearing a frock. Apart from the odd curious glance, nobody on the bus bats an eye.

Hurrah for the English!


In fact, this reminded me of one of my colleagues in my old job, whose boyfriend of 10 years confessed that he'd been having negative feelings about his, um, manhood... that he'd been thinking about it for some time, and that henceforth, he'd like to be addressed as Mary. As Mary, he applied for the big op through the NHS and was successful. He started taking hormones and began dressing as a woman in everyday life while he was on the waiting list.

I met Mary once when we all went to see the Buena Vista Social Club at the South Bank, and was intrigued to see that she modelled her whole self as a woman on her girlfriend, same facial expressions, mannerisms, laugh and all... it was somewhat eerie, like they were twins.

What is amazing is that my colleague, we'll call her Amanda, stuck by him (her?) 'It's still the same person that I love' she said. I thought she was truly amazing, a person in a million. Can you imagine if your other half came home and told you they wanted to change sex? Would you say 'It's alright darling, whatever you want - as long as you're happy'? Or would you run for the hills?

It also brought up interesting questions of sexual orientation - Amanda wasn't gay but her boyfriend's change of gender made her lesbian by default. When we were out for drinks one evening, someone braver at work than me asked 'Are you still having sex?' 'Oh yes,' she said.

Still, it came as no surprise when I'd left that place, I heard that Amanda had found a new boyfriend, and got married shortly afterwards. It was maybe a bit too much to ask of someone else.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see those hills getting bigger by the second

rockmother said...

Well I love the sound of that family on the bus. I don't know what I would do apart from be suppportive for starters.

Alda said...

You know, I've read about this before - women sticking by their, um, man. I don't think I could do it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I could not.

Arabella said...

I would be looking for hilly regions but would want to know the person I loved was safe and happy. I think it would be heart-breaking.

llewtrah said...

My monthly midweek drinking club included transgender, crossdressers and all sorts of folks - you never knew who'd be wearing what! The chap might have been taking part in a dare or something (like my dad wore a dress when he did a charity event).

Annie said...

Yes, me too V - RoMo, fair enough to be supportive but where would that leave you?

Alda, cross-dressing is one thing, but I hadn't heard of anyone's partner changing sex and still staying together as a couple...

Arabella, of course... what is odd is that it happened fairly suddenly, it wasn't like one of those people you read about who said they'd always felt trapped in the wrong body.

Llewtrah, that must have been an interesting night out! He definitely wasn't doing it for a dare, it was clearly a lifestyle choice - and very brave of them too.

Quink said...

Most of my family are obviously or increasingly eccentric. It means I wander about wondering whether people think I'm more or less normal. Whether the family taint will be apparent to the passer by. Funnily enough, I think that's what most members of my family do too. A tricky one...

rockmother said...

Well - I did stress supportive for starters! Arabella said exactly what I really meant to say I think.

Istvanski said...

Many years ago, a colleague at work (let's call him Bert) slowly went through the changes with the aim of becoming a woman. He had a male partner (who we shall call Ernie) who was very supportive of Bert's wishes and planned on staying with Bert after the big op.
During Bert's big op, things didn't go according to plan and Bert ended up dying on the operating table.
Ernie was understandably distraught with the disasterous result and ended up topping himself by running a hose from his car's exhaust pipe to his immediate environment. Sad but true.

Is there a moral to the story? Don't muck around with nature?
Be greatful for the bits you've been endowed with? God knows.

Anonymous said...

I've only known (wellish) one transsexual and she wasn't finding life easy. At all. I can't imagine how any transition as massive as that wouldn't make you a bit... erm... mad. Perhaps not. But seriously fragile. I know there are some medical cases where genetically things have gone a bit queer and chromosomally people can be neither/both sexes. But when it's just a question of feeling wrong in your body, I think it must be almost uncometotermswithable. I constantly worry I'm a woman with a willy, but I couldn't imagine actually being a woman.

I'd love to dress up in a nice frock though.

Pants said...

Hi Slammo

I agree that the English acceptance of eccentricity is, or has has been, unparalleled. I just wonder how much longer the respect for privacy is going to last for any of us given that we are the most spied upon community on the planet.

xxx

Pants

Annie said...

Quink, nothing wrong with eccentric. And you might as well take advantage, living in the most eccentric borough in the most eccentric city...

RoMo - right. Hope I'm never in that position!

Istvanski, that's a devastatingly sad story. But surely they were just unlucky too..?

BiB, this is where I find transvestism very intriguing - it's just clothes, just appearances after all. Why do we find it so shocking? (though have you noticed, it is not drag queens or transvestites alone who like to wear women's clothes - give any straight man the excuse to get in a dress and a wig - a fancy dress party or the like - and they will LEAP at the opportunity. Fact.) I would come shopping with you for a nice frock!

Pants, I do agree. It is very insidious, they've been chip chip chipping away at our civil liberties and there does not seem to be half enough protest about it... Who WATCHES all this CCTV too?