Sunday, June 08, 2008

Klimt

Rah! Klimt at the Tate. Oh, but it's in Liverpool. I've never seen one in the flesh, only reproductions.

Klimt had the life every artist dreams of. Successful, popular, wealthy; he persuaded beautiful voluptuous women to get their kit off in the name of art, shagged Mahler's wife and was fĂȘted by high society.

His art is pretty, decorative, the kind of thing you'd live with on your wall quite easily (though with those dark sexy Freudian undertones of the time too.) The fate of art like this is to be turned into greetings cards and notebooks for teenagers to write awful poetry in (see also Monet) but that doesn't mean he wasn't a genius.

Who wants to come on a little road trip to Liverpool then? It's not that far away from London, is it?

10 comments:

Billy said...

Yay, someone else who likes Klimt! I did get a bit excited about this, especially when they said "tate" only to have my dreams smashed.

Apparently Liverpool is 2 1/2 hours on the train.

Annie said...

2 1/2 hours, hey? It's doable - isn't it?

Billy said...

Yes, I suppose it is! Let's do it...

(I haven't been to Liverpool in years)

rockmother said...

I am a member and can get me plus one in for free if that helps - and would love to go and see it - I love Klimt.

Annie said...

lolz at Londoners attempting to break past the M25

*giggles*

Tim F said...

It's not that far.

But it is full of Northerns, who talk funny, and smell of dripping and resentment.

You might see Jimmy Tarbuck. That's nice for you.

Annie said...

Billy, RoMo, hurrah hurrah!

Annie - I'd heard tell there were Other Places, can it be true?

Tim - will the Northerns be hostile then?

Pants said...

Hi Slammo

Forget Liverpool - get yourself over to Vienna if you want to see Klimt.

xxx

Pants

Del said...

I can deal with hostile notherners. It's when they try to be friendly that it's really scary. Stop talking to me! We haven't been properly introduced!

I saw the ever wonderful Andrew Graham-Dixon waxing lyrical about it all on the Culture Show. Looks fantastic. I too was cheesed off that it was in Liverpool. Only 2 1/2 hours? Quicker than getting to most places in South London that...

Annie said...

Hey, Pants. Vienna! Good cakes too, I hear...

Del, it's a good point, well made. And South Londoners are even more foreign than Northerners.