Friday, January 30, 2009

Paging Dr Freud

I'm walking in town. Everywhere there are tiny, perfect little sculptures of animals on the ground, so many you have step over them to avoid treading on them – tigers, rabbits, hedgehogs… they're beautiful, but all surrounded by clouds of buzzing flies.

Then I remember I'd read about this in the paper, the sculptures are actually filled with the corpses of dead animals, it's a protest action by conservation and animal rights groups. The idea is that they will lie there rotting until the clouds of flies attract people's attention to the issue of extinction. It gets harder and harder to walk without stepping on them, the hedgehogs in particular are quite prickly.

Then I wake up. It's 5 in the morning and I can hear techno coming from downstairs, faint enough but it's vibrating through the mattress and pillow. I have to be up in an hour.

What does it all mean?



(Yes, you know you've hit blogging rock bottom when you start posting your dreams. Any you want to share?)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What scant regard your unconscious self has for Health and Safety. I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

Don't know what it means. Perhaps that your neighbour's a tosser? But you knew that.

Rosie said...

my nana robbed my purse in my dream last night, and handed it over to a Fagin like character from her pitch and putt club.

Betty said...

It means that you are a creative genius whose need to follow your true calling has been thwarted. You could be the 21st Century Hieronymus Bosch by the sound of things.

I had a disturbing dream a couple of nights ago where I was staying at a grim hotel on the Isle Of Man with The Monochrome Set (a band from the late '70's), Princess Margaret and Norman Wisdom. The weather was overcast and dreary.

LC said...

Freud would tell you that your dream is a disguised representation of a wish, or desire which you probably aren't even aware of on a conscious level. To figure out what it means, you'd need identify what all of the seperate elements of the dream represent to you - best done by a process of free-association according to the man himself, and you'd really need a trained psychotherapist to help with that.

Ian said...

Your sub-conscious, having disposed of your techno-generating neighbours in painful and bloody fashion, was disposing of their corpses under cover of animal rights protest action ... Ah, one can but dream (as, indeed, you did).

Anonymous said...

I think this is the only context in which the following is a semi-intelligent response:

your ma

Tim F said...

Can anybody help with the underlying meaning of the dream I had about Zhang Ziyi and some peanut butter?

Annie said...

BiB, I know. I'm always amazed at what is in my head, it seems to come from elsewhere.

Rosie, ha! Actually I think your dream represents all our anxiety at the moment at the older generation gambling away our financial futures...

Betty, the Isle of Man, brrrr... were you on tour with the band? A roadie, perhaps?

LC, right, maybe Jung would be a better man for the job, with his dream archetypes and all. He didn't seem to write anything specifically on hedgehogs, though.

Ian, bwahahaha! My unconscious is more cunning than I am.

Elimordino, you changed your name. Your mamma too, right back at you.

Tim, you mucky pup. I believe that's known as lucid dreaming.

Del said...

I had loads of bizarre dreams after stuffing my face with MSG smothered Chinese last night. The most disturbing featured my ex girlfriend. Who had dyed her hair and gots lots of piercings and looked hideous and was generally being mean.

Then I come to work today and find that she'd emailed me yesterday evening. Urgh. Go away woman. Let me be.

Annie said...

Had you eaten lots of Chinese before you went to bed?

Ooh, spooky. Prophetic dreams...