Monday, February 27, 2006

Beware men with gold teeth

Veronica and Oscar are moving back to Spain. The Spaniards are deserting us, taking with them their innate ability to party all night and get up fresh as a daisy for work the next day. And their horror at our uncivilised attitudes to food. ("You eat potato chips! In the street! In Spain we sit at the table, we drink wine...")

So we went for a goodbye drink in Stoke Newington. Miriam and Ash come out, a rare thing since their little girl was born. Both very happy to be out.

I'm talking to Miriam when a man comes and stands very close to us.
"I fancy a kebab," is his winning line. He has a diamond earring, a beanie hat, a gold tooth smile. He's very drunk. We chat for a while, clearly he's taken a shine to Miriam.
"I'm a married woman, with a little girl," she says. "That's my husband at the bar."
"Me too," he says. "I'm married, I've got 3 kids. They're beautiful."
"Well you're cheeky then. Why aren't you home with your wife and kids?"
Uh oh, I think. She's pouring gasoline on a flammable material.

He wanders off, but circles back with a friend in tow. His friend is small and wiry, with scars all over his face. He takes exception to Miriam telling his mate to step back.
"You're being out of order, " slurs the friend. His face is getting redder and he's starting to shake. For some reason I think of Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. "I could... I would go over there and smack my glass over your husband's head."
I try a diversionary tactic.
"Have you known your friend long?" I say, like we're chatting at a garden party.
"38 years!" he says.
"Wow, you're joking, you don't look 38."
He almost blushes, but isn't distracted for long. He's casting dangerous looks at Ash over at the bar. My heart starts to beat fast as I flash through a likely scenario, as Vero's leaving drinks and Miriam's rare night off descend into shouting, glass-smashing, sweet Ash pouring with blood, police and ambulances.
"Let's go," I say, trying to shoosh everyone else out in my best teacher style.
"It's okay" someone says. "Miriam's got it under control." Sure enough, she's sweet-talking them over at the bar. Ash looks relaxed.

Finally Mr Gold Tooth wanders out in search of his kebab, taking Joe Pesci with him (though not before a finale in which he tries to sell us an E.) And I breathe a sigh of relief. I'm no good at violence.

10 comments:

DCveR said...

Doesn't sound like the kind of place I'd like to go to...

Annie said...

Dcver, it's not usually like that, it's usually a very mellow place. There's always one who has to spoil it...

G, I'm kind of glad too, if Mir was pouring gasoline, I can see you lighting the match...

Anonymous said...

Annie, I beat you're really handy in fight. I'm sure you've got a right hook hiding somewhere. :-)

Annie said...

I only use it when someone tries to take my pint though Adrian.

Anonymous said...

On an unrelated-to-this-story-matter - I like your new font

C

Annie said...

why, thank you Claire. This place is in desperate need of a spring clean.

Wyndham said...

Isn't London marvellous? Having a big mouth and a sarcastic manner, I'm used to being intimidated by the threat of violence, but I don't think I would have liked it if I got clobbered over the head because of something someone else said. That would have been a new one.

Anonymous said...

I've never been in an actual fight, as I have perfected the 'lightning-fast, Superman-hard kick in the goolies and scarper'. Works every time.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I've never been in a fight or a situation like that, I wouldn't know what to do. Miriam's got the right answer, sweet talk your way outta trouble.

Annie said...

Wyndham, especially if it was your other half who a) pissed them off then b) pointed them in your direction.

Matthew, it's not the Marquess of Queensbury rules but I like your style.

GG, there are always some random nutters when you go out in London - the best tactic is to avoid them.

G - are we a little disoriented? Make yourself at home.