Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Guilty pleasures

We've all got them. At an early age was seduced by the record collection of big sis, who listened mostly to disco. Lurking amongst the too-cool-for-school Velvet Underground and Gorillaz on my ipod is some vintage Sylvester and just the other day found myself singing Luther Vandross' Never Too Much in the shower.

Go on, tell us your guilty pleasures. We're all friends here, I promise not to tease. Much.


* * * * *

Inspired by Wyndham, I thought for a change I'd answer in the post instead of the comments box.

First up is Just Jane, bravely raising the bar high by confessing to Marillion's Kayleigh (Marillion, there's a blast from the past!) and Rainbow's Since You've Been Gone, I believe from the Jurassic Era. She kept her guilty pleasures hidden from the punk fraternity - til now.

Natalie, there's no shame in liking Dolly Parton. She's a goddess amongst women, and an inspiration to us all. Though I draw the line at her coat of many colours.

Matt is even more brave in admitting to a liking for Chaka Khan. It's a rare (straight) man who likes Chaka Khan. Matt, I hope you can borrow a handbag from Nikki to dance around, or it's just not the same. (And by the way, I just watched your lip-synch video, made me laugh a lot. Kind of like that scene from Wayne's World where they're head-banging to Bohemian Rhapsody).

Em, Karen Carpenter is a truly soulful singer. And as you've outed yourself as a Neil Diamond fan, I guess it's time I came out of the closet too. I love Forever in Blue Jeans.

Wyndham does not 'fess up, but he admits that Sylvester is ace. I'd say the word is faaaabulous, sweetie.

We all feel like a weight's been lifted off our shoulders now, don't we?

* * * * *

We have a late contender with Ghoghghoti, who confesses to miming along to Sade in public - wish I'd been there G - and a love for Kate Bush, but unfortunately this gets you kicked out on the grounds of good taste.

But the Curve's valiant admission "Three little words - Electric Light Orchestra" sees his choice take pride of place in our Hall of Shame. Three little words for you the Curve - Mr Blue Sky.

Bugger, now I'm going to have that in my head all day.

* * * * *
Greavsie goes old school with the Lionel Ritchie classic, Three Times A Lady. I'm picturing you serenading Barbarella with it on Tuesday, Greavsie.

Dave F, like G, is another Sade fan - Sade doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid, too bland to be a guilty pleasure - but redeems himself with Dire Straits. Dire Straits!? That will do nicely, sir.

Lu (along with Lochie the Wonder Dog) has fond memories from her student days of getting ready to go out to the Grease soundtrack. Most definitely guilty as charged, since it was uncool from the moment it arrived on the musical scene in the 70s. Hmm, remind me to post about Grease sometime. (Psst, Lu, I've got the video but don't tell anyone.)





11 comments:

J.J said...

'Kayleigh' by Marillion and 'Since you've been gone' by Rainbow. Both unspeakably naff when one was trying to project a hard core punk image!

Natsthename said...

I must say, my guilty pleasures are country chicks like Trish Yearwood, The Dixie Chicks, and Dolly Parton!

Anonymous said...

I've got 'The Very Best of Chaka Khan', but that's because it's f***in' brilliant.

Now we're flyin' through the stars, I hope this night will last forever, oh, oh , oh, oh-oh...

Anonymous said...

I've got The Carpenters on my Ipod.

I also love a bit of Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline and Forever in Blue Jeans (I am too ashamed to have these on my ipod!)

Also, am worried because BBC Radio 2 is the most represenative of my music tastes these days - oh dear.

PS - I agree with Natalie about the country chicks too.

Wyndham said...

Sylvester was ace!

Anonymous said...

On your update/answer, Chaka Khan, in my opinion, does not require a handbag to dance around, only a lovely lady to boogie with (yes Nikki, I do mean you). And re the lip-synch video, part 2 is up on Google Video, will blog it fairly soon I'd say, depending if I run outta stuff to talk about. And there's more (hilarious?) vids in the works!

The Curve said...

Three little words: ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA.

David said...

The Commodores - Three times a Lady

Anonymous said...

I have a thing for Sade too. But her early albums were pretty good; it wasn't till she became a parody torch singer that things went downhill.

And then there's Dire Straits ...

Lu and Lochie the Wonder Dog said...

When we were miserly uni students we used to drink cheap port before we went out, and dance and sing to the Grease album to get ourselves hyped for a big night out. If I hear the strains of 'Grease is the Word' these days it brings back memories (and the taste of cheap port)....

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

psst psst true confessions magazines...cringe cringe...but I luuuurve them...cringe cringe...