Sunday, February 12, 2006

Snaps for Sarah

Because she upped and left her small town and crossed the ocean and found herself a job and a house and made friends and a life for herself, all by herself, in her early twenties.

Because she has eclectic and surprising taste in books, like A History of Cod and books about feral children.

Because you can't, you just can't, even if you tried, take a bad photo of her.

Because you'd never guess it, but she's a fan of Ray Mears' Extreme Survival, World of Survival and Ultimate Survival Guide. If I ever get stuck in the jungle, the desert or the arctic circle, I'll know who to call.

Because she always has good new music to listen to.

Because she has the x-rated version of Duran Duran's Girls on Film, and all the Blondie videos, on DVD.

Because she cuts through our namby pamby English pussy-footing around with Canadian no-bullshit directness.

Because her straight-talking can take my breath away.

Because she invented the word "meh". Yes, she did.

Because she's let me crash on her sofa a million times, and it's a proper sofa-bed, more comfortable than my own bed.

Because she gets up and makes beautiful breakfasts for you when you're hungover.

Because she's the last word in glamour and can rock a pair of hoop earrings like no one else can.

Because she's extraordinarily bossy with mini-cab drivers and knows how to drive a hard bargain.

Because she's big bad Sarah. I love you Sar. You'll probably never read this, but happy new house anyway. Looking forward to hanging out with you in happening Farringdon.

Update: And she has a shiny new site all of her own, check it out: www.stupidanimals.org


16 comments:

Alda said...

Boy, I wish I was Sarah... and had a friend like you! :)

[PS postcard is coming... I know the one I want to send, but I keep forgetting to pick it up when I'm in town...]

Anonymous said...

She sounds like a good friend and it also sounds like you are going to miss her.

Adrian said...

Was this the friend you were with on Saturday night?

Annie said...

G, she's glad to know you too ;-)

Thanks Alda! No pressure on the postcard. Especially as Schools Out... for a week. Yay for half-term!

Growing Up, it's good news, as she's moving closer.

Adrian, that was Leila, also a friend of Sarah's. Leila was well impressed, when I asked if she wanted to come to a blogger's party she envisioned lots of people sitting around on laptops, not giving each other much eye contact ;-)

Great party, we had fun... hope your head wasn't too sore.

Anonymous said...

That's our gal!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yayyyy!!! I love being Sarah! Thanks Annie my sweet!


S xxxxx

Annie said...

Em, feel free to add...

Anonymous, no one could be a better Sarah ;-)

Adrian said...

Well their where only about 6 bloggers their give or take. Although I don't really differentiate between bloggers and friends, so you all were friends.

Head was sore, but ok.

Thanks for coming, hope you had a great time.

Annie said...

I know. "I'm not a blogger. I'm a Human Being." (cf The Prisoner). That was just the hook, she was very intrigued to meet real live bloggers. We did have a great time. When 's the next one?

Anonymous said...

Yeah I'm very interested as to when the next 'bloggers braai' or whatever is on, seeing as this time when I go and someone asks me what the address of my blog is I'll have an answer other than 'uhh... err... I'm not really a blogger like...'

Sarah sounds like a top mate though.

Annie said...

Matt, I felt strangely shy owning up to having one but like Adrian said it wasn't really a bloggers' party.

She is top. And it was the only way I could get her to visit here ;-)

The Curve said...

I love Sarah too, although I do have to admit that I might actually love her sofa more.....

Dan Flynn said...

Annie,

re The Prisoner, I've been to Port Merion lots of times with my friend Karen who always shouts "I am a number." from that balcony thing in the main square. I don't think she quite catches the drift. Hmm.

Annie said...

Lucky you Dan, I've always wanted to see it. No, no, dopey friend. You need to explain Dan, it's your duty. (But it is funny)

Annie said...

The Curve, it's a close choice ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love my sofa more than me:)