Saturday, January 19, 2008

Straight men love to drag up

Oh yes, it's true. Give any hetero English man an excuse to wear a frock - student rag, fancy dress, Monty Python sketch - they will leap at the chance. I was just looking at old photos from college of a party we had, we were all going to cross-dress when the girls decided they didn't want to wear boring men's clothes, (and anyway, a normal day would see us in biker boots, jeans and holey jumpers, so putting on a dress and heels would be a form of drag for us girls too.) So we all wore dresses. You've never seen such enthusiasm for the wearing of stockings and makeup, and that was just the boys.

They'll also start mincing like nobody's business. I was taken aback by my friend T, meek and mild IT student, who threw himself into the pouting and posing with gusto. (Get your male friends into women's clothes and you get an interesting insight into how they see women. ) Which reminds me of reading The Naked Civil Servant when Quentin Crisp (writing in the 60s) says that the current model of camp - limp-wristed, standing with one hip sticking out - is based on a totally antiquated feminine style which dates way back to the 1920s, and yet which has somehow stuck.

(And to sidetrack a little - maybe it's different nowadays. I'm intrigued by the cabaret scene in London which has taken off over the last few years - it's not old style Danny La Rue female impersonation, the new drag with Jonny Woo etc, is more like gender-bending. )

Anyway, say I'm having a party and you have to dress up. You can come as any diva of your choice. Who do you come as?

Strike a pose...

15 comments:

Istvanski said...

I'd come as Scary Spice (Bo Selecta version).

Geoff said...

Judy Garland, but I'd cry all the way through the party. Because Judy makes me cry.

rockmother said...

I'd come as Liberace.

Anonymous said...

Gloria Gaynor. It's one of my (never-to-be-realised) ambitions to sing "I Will Survive" at a karaoke night. Not terribly original, really.

Alan said...

As regards women I've always had a feeling of discontent and resentment aroused by and in conjunction with the desire for the possessions or qualities of their sexuality. I think it's call envy. Don't get me wrong, I adore women, I'm completely hetro. and hate the company of most men, who bore me to tears.
Men I guess are expected to be men -whatever that is - even reading "Refusing To Be A Man" didn't help.
I think I was born too early; that's if things do ever change.

Anonymous said...

Lily Allen init.

Anonymous said...

Rita Hayworth in Gilda - drunk and striping with pnuematicaly upheld breasts - ha! take that gravity!

Tim F said...

Suzi Quatro. It's the way she could pluck her bass and shake her feathercut in perfect rhythm.

And she had a nice arse.

King of Scurf said...

Jacques Cousteau....he invented the aqualung ya know.

Ohhhh, you meant diva, now I geddit, I think it would have to be Donna Summer.

Annie said...

Istvanski, Bo Selecta is a more authentic Scary Spice than the real thing.

Ah, Geoff - now, Judy as a fresh-faced teenage singing angel or as a pill-popping nervous wreck, I wonder?

RoMo - I can so clearly picture that.

Marsha - we should have a karaoke night! Genius idea!
http://www.urbanpath.com/london/cocktail-bars/lucky-voice.htm
Look, you get private rooms so there need be no public shame.

Sean - a man after my own heart. Hmm, I do not know of this 'Refusing to be a man' - will go off to Google it now.

US - interesting choice. I like our Lily...

Emma - ooh, me too! The way she peels off her gloves...

Tim, when I wrote this I thought 'I wonder if anyone will mention Suzi Quatro?' So glad it was you...

King of Scurf - nice one, it would keep people guessing if you came as Jacques Cousteau. Though Donna Summer is a fine choice.

Del said...

Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot.

Billy said...

The witch from The Lion, The witch and the Wardrobe.

Or Joan Baez.

Annie said...

Hmm, I find the thought strangely alluring, Del.

Billy - the witch is a good one - but 'Warbling' Joan Baez? hahahahahahaha! You loon.

Del said...

I bet you boo-boo-be-do...

llewtrah said...

My dad was crap at wearing a dress when he played a panto dame in the Rotary panto one year. He put it on backwards because he thought the bust section was to accommodate his shoulderblades!