Monday, April 14, 2008

Fashion victim

Usually I tune advertising out, but I saw a picture of Chloe Sevigny in a Uniqlo campaign and the thought arrived fully formed in my brain, as if dictated by God, I MUST HAVE THAT T-SHIRT (it's the one she's wearing currently on the front page of their website, holding her hands on her head like horns.)

I like it, I like it, I like it a lot. I'm too old to wear cartoons across my chest but I don't care. I will not go gentle into that good night. (If you want to see my mutton in a Japanese graphic t-shirt look, click here - I'm a bit shy of posting pictures on my blog anymore, because one day someone from work will stumble across it and then it'll all be over.)

Anyway, the t-shirt came with a veritable essay on life, love, design and philosophy on the label - apparently it is "Astroboy" by Hiroaki Ohya. (And made in China, I just noticed, no doubt by the nimble fingers of an 8 year old, guilt guilt. I still like it.) If you like t-shirts, graphics, robots, graffitti, Japanese cartoons etc, they've got a good thing going on a Uniqlo at the moment. And it comes in a tube, which feels all modern and space-age.

(thanks to Adrian for sending me the picture)

9 comments:

rockmother said...

I don't know if you noticed or maybe he wasn't out but we've got a genuine 90's Astroboy handtowel in the bathroom - we love him. Was sent over years ago by a mad Japanese friend of mine that used to be married to a famous Japanese musician. Love the t-shirt - you look fab in it.

Rosie said...

pretty lady!

(hadn't seen a photo before)

Unknown said...

"I'm too old to wear cartoons across my chest"

Sez who?

You look fab, Ms S.

Billy said...

Yay for Chloe! Obviously you should buy it, I don't recall Uniqlo being particularly extortionate...

Anonymous said...

man, i had to click a million times on the page to refresh until i finally got to the picture of chloe with her horns. it suits you better, anyway.

Tim F said...

Chloe = pretty hot

Annie = positively incandescent

Anonymous said...

I've been refreshing to try and get the Sevigny picture, but now my head's just wrapped up in inventing a life story for that very emotive Asian guy. Bah.

Annie said...

RoMo I didn't see the towel. How groovy. I did a search on Astroboy and never realised there's a whole world of Astroboy out there...

Aww, thanks guys. I'm quite overcome.

Annie said...

Hi Emordino, missed you. Adrian kindly sent me a screen shot so you can see Chloe in all her glory. The Asian guy is a remarkable actor...