Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Poor people are rubbish

At the hygienist (a motherly, somewhat sinister older lady):

Hygienist: Have you had that cap a long time?
Annie: Yes [Answering with difficulty as an instrument of torture is in her mouth. It was the legacy of an evil supply teacher in primary school who made us play leap-frog. My partner fell over, I landed face first and knocked a front tooth out.]
Hygienist: It doesn't really match does it?
Annie: No, but it's expensive to replace.
Hygienist: Well it does its job, but it's a shame it's such a rubbish colour. [laughing merrily.] Maybe you'll get a big pay rise, then you can replace it!

On the phone to the estate agent:

Estate agent: I've got a 2 bed in London Fields for £3 million and a 1 bed in Shoreditch for £2.5 million.
Annie: They're a bit out of my budget.
Estate agent: What about the flat I showed you in ___ Road? It's been reduced.
Annie: It was on the ground floor and everyone could see in the bedroom walking past.
Estate agent: (Impatiently) You're going to find it very, very difficult with your budget...
Annie: I know. It's just, there's not much that I can do about my budget. I can't magic money out of the air...

Here we see the interesting modern phenomenon of people working in service industry jobs telling the customer that they are RUBBISH BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY...

12 comments:

bedshaped said...

Would it be cheaper to take up heavy smoking, then all your teeth would match.

Matt said...

Or give up brushing your teeth. Or use that chocolate toothpaste stuff.

It's not like you don't have options.

Annie said...

Bedshaped - now that's lateral thinking. I like it. Plus it gives me a good reason to take up smoking again.

Matt - chocolate toothpaste?! Why did I not know of this before?

Tim F said...

Cheer up. The economy's collapsing, house prices are going through the floor, and that estate agent is going to be out of a job by Tuesday.

And the new look this summer is 'English teeth', so the hygienist will have to take up lap dancing to make ends meet.

Anonymous said...

Nice post-title. I'm poor and rubbish. Shall we unite (and take over)? But you've given up smoking! I salute you solidarityishly.

Betty said...

Why not ring the estate agent back and ask for their advice about becoming an estate agent, because it seems to be a way of making lots of money without having much skill, and, besides, you get to be rude to other people into the bargain?

Betty said...

OMG, when I read that back it sounds as if I'm implying that you are rude and don't have any work skills, whereas what I was trying to imply was that that estate agent was rude and had poor work skills ...

*shoots self in head*

Annie said...

Don't stress Betty, I understand you.

Istvanski said...

Two man tent, £29.99 from Argos.
Sorted.

Unknown said...

Have you seen this? I think it says everything that needs to be said about (some!)dental hygienists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAuuSQH0iKo&feature=related

Annie said...

Bang on, Marsha...

llewtrah said...

Sounds like you'll have to stop going to Malaga so you can afford dentistry and a roof over your head. You can enjoy the rain back in blighty instead.