Friday, August 01, 2008

Mighty Boosh

Late to the party yet again, I find myself watching the Mighty Boosh episodes backtoback, nearly at the last one, whatever shall I do when I've watched the lot?

Before watching it I had this impression that it was a bit too fey, a bit too forced & whimsical, but Emma put me right. It's fucking hilarious, and genius, and gets a little bit darker in every series. Supremely silly, yet also remembering to have a genuine plot, and paying superb attention to detail in the costumes, and the sets. Their chemistry as a double act is beautiful to behold.

Here is my favourite bit from Tundra:

Howard Moon: Day 12. Vince is dead. All is lost. The wind my only friend...
Wind: I hate you

Noel Fielding especially is a revelation - it took me a while to realise that the child-like, happy, innocent one was also playing the scary Cockney nutter to great effect.

And they write and play all the music.

Altogether now:

Eels up inside ya
Findin an entrance where they can
Eels up inside ya
Findin an entrance where they can

Boring through your mind, through your tummy, through your anus, eels!

9 comments:

Rad said...

I love the Mod wolves from series one :D

LC said...

I used to see them occasionally at the Hen and Chickens theatre in Islington before they got big (me = smug).

I have noticed that they seem to enjoy an almost obsessive following from a certain kind of woman. I went on a couple of dates with a girl once who just couldn't stop talking about The Boosh, ever. When I went to one of their shows with her she completely weirded me out by laughing and clapping insanely loudly, and bouncing up and down in her seat like an excitable child, at every little thing they said - I baled out early and left her there alone, she probably didn't even notice.

Kitty Catastrophe said...

I'm going to see them in Dublin in September, can't frickin' wait! I'm Old Greggggggg! Really hope I won't act like the nutjob LC just described, but it could well happen.

Annie said...

Rad, I don't remember them, oh well I'll just have to go back and watch the whole thing again.

LC - ooh fab. Was watching a programme about them & wishing I'd seen them when they were at the Hen & Chickens, don't really fancy big rock-star stadium style gigs.

Ha! That is hilarious! On this documentary I think they were finding it hard when every word was greeted with hysteria and adulation.

Have fun, Kitty Cat!

Anonymous said...

They are magnificent, great acting and great timing. I've been trying to get tickets for the Dublin show for ages but no luck. Humph.

Unknown said...

whatever shall I do when I've watched the lot?

Why, watch them all again and again until you know the scripts by heart!

Rad said...

Annie, the Mod wolves are in the same episode as the Monkeys and the miracle hair gel. Hope that helps. :)

Del said...

Hmmm, yeah. I am a definite fan, but I do worry that the precise adulation that LC so accurately described has harmed them. The recent series wasn't as good as the previous ones. I can't help but think they've started to believe their own hype. The whole "We're a band now!" thing was farcical. And Noel Fielding is now getting a bit smug to the point of me wanting to punch him in the face.

Build em up. Knock em down. I should write for the NME.

Anonymous said...

About bloody time lady!!! That´s my favourite line too - great minds.