Saturday, May 27, 2006

Art

When I first set this up I joined some directories and not really knowing what I was doing, stuck in "art, photography, music" to the profile details. Cos they're my "hobbies", ahem. Except not really. They're just things I like and am interested in. I don't know how to write about them. Now folks in Ohio or Tokyo keep showing up here in search of art, photography and music and I feel like I'm short-changing them.

This is a long introduction just to say, here is a post about "art", please feel free to skip it and come back tomorrow, when I will have thought of some interesting gossip to entertain you.

So, Klee. He's my favourite painter. He was Swiss, yet not boring. He painted forms and colours, often in watercolour. He was a great draughtsman, and described his pictures as "taking a line for a walk." The Nazis said his art was degenerate, and banned him, there can be no higher praise.

What is interesting is that his pictures are pretty much abstract, but I defy anyone to stand in front of them and not have an emotional response to them. One of our favourite books when kids was the Magic Fish, and I was happy to discover later Klee's painting which must have inspired it. Every place I've lived has had some Klee poster or other up on the wall, it helps make me feel at home.
A while ago there was an exhibition of his work at the Hayward Gallery, I can't tell you how it felt, after years of seeing reproductions in books, to see these paintings in real life for the first time.
Gives you an almost indecent amount of pleasure
(especially Harbinger of Autumn).

Here below is The Tightrope Walker and a poem I wrote about it years ago - strangely enough this picture expresses how I feel right about now.

6 comments:

DC said...

I don't know why you think you are short changing people - you're flickr pictures are great - especially the black and white reportage type stuff.

Tim F said...

My mum has a book of Klee's drawings, and I fell in love with his stuff very early on. But I was disappointed to find out that his name is pronounced 'Clay'. I always thought 'Klee' (rhyming with 'bee') was much more appropriate. Slightly alien, even, like Klaatu or something.

Anonymous said...

I love Klee and have Harbinger of Autumn in the bedroom (reproduction bought for 50p in the Haywood sadly, not original).

More art reviews please Annie....

PS - go to the Dan Flavin at the Haywood if it´s still on - you´ll never look at strip lighting in the same way...

Anonymous said...

That is the first art review I have ever enjoyed. Very touching. Do more x

DCveR said...

At least some of us don't feel short-changed, after all we keep coming back here! ;)

Annie said...

Thank you, my friends!
US, thanks, they are very old photos - makes me think maybe I should get my old camera out & go back to actual film.

You're so right Tim. It would also rhyme with glee - as in "Klee fills me with glee." Another poem!

Me too Em! Great minds think alike. I did see Dan Flavin and liked it a lot - it was like light therapy in the middle of the winter.

Thanks, G and Dcver! Dcver, you know what kind of nonsense to expect though ;-)