Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Exhale

I don't care what job you do, brain surgery or rocket science, let me tell you it is as nothing compared with shepherding 30 small children on and off of public transport. It is no cake-walk, believe me. (Not entirely sure what a cake-walk is. Let's just say it was no picnic.)

So it was all going beautifully, got them there, crossed the streets in one piece, stopped them falling off slides and climbing frames and breaking their necks, destroying valuable artworks, setting fire to each other or otherwise causing mischief.

Was breathing a sigh of relief on the bus back to school when just as it drew to a halt at the bus stop, (situated at the start of the Blackwall Tunnel), one little boy decided to open the emergency door next to him, narrowly missing falling out into some heavy duty traffic. ("What's this lever? Pull handle to open. Oh, okay..." Why did I teach them to read?) My life flashed before my eyes. In fact, Daily Mail headlines flashed before my eyes. I have aged 10 years today.

But regular readers will be happy to know that the evil government overlords have gone. We got an Outstanding in our Ofsted report.

17 comments:

David said...

That's the sort of situation when you get some numpity in the comments box going 'Risk Assessment' so that you don't get a good kicking from the LEA if something did happen. But that won't be me because you called me very funny so I'm all glowy still.

Annie said...

Greavsie, a parent helper was standing right next to him, though I'm sure this would have cut no ice with the LEA. Or the Daily Mail.

David said...

I can see the headlines now:

Star Teacher to blame for teaching pupil to read.

Anonymous said...

But Annie we all knew you were outstanding to begin with ...

Anonymous said...

30 kids on Public Transport? Can't the school hire a coach?

Anonymous said...

I would have let the little shit fall - stupid creature.

Bad Sarah xx

Anonymous said...

Good that the inspectors have gone back up where they belong. I say 'up' because generally when people talk about Ofsted coming to visit an institution it's usually in terms of 'descending upon' it.

Like monkeys with wings and fezzes.

DCveR said...

Thirty boyscouts? Yeah, no problem, have done it lots of times! Thirty school kids? I wouldn't dare!!! You're a brave one Annie!

Mike said...

I've been on a couple trips now with 50+ boys for three weeks at a time... Towards the end you start hoping that they get eaten by bears so you can get a full night's sleep.

Annie said...

Adrian, you're welcome round here anytime.

Yeah Rad, that's what I wanna know. Can't the school hire a coach? *cough* cheapskates*cough*

That would've taught him, Bad Sarah.

QE, hah, that's hilarious! Evil minions that they are.

I wouldn't dare with the boyscouts, Dcver ;-)

Annie said...

We crossed in the comments box Viking. Now, the point at which we have to go on overnight camps is the point at which I say adios to the teaching profession.

Anonymous said...

I salute you because i couldn't imagine taking all the kids on a trip out its bad enough taking my own two and making sure they don't run off. I really couldn't do your job.

DCveR said...

It’s easier though, there is a somewhat rigid hierarchy and the kids are used to follow directions instead of acting wild.

Quink said...

Never again. When I trained as a teacher in Norfolk, I had to help take a load of Year 7 & 8s to some Roman remains and on to an agricultural college. The day started with some boy pissing on the Roman remains and finished with a cow using one girl as a handkerchief - until you've seen a 12 year old diagonalled with cow snot, you haven't lived...

Annie said...

Growing Up, the difference is I get evenings and weekends off from the kids
;-)

Dcver, mine aren't so wild really - they're just little. Though sometimes I day-dream about sedating them.

Hey, welcome, Quink! Glad to see Hackney Lookout is back - everybody go and check it out! Oh lord, years 7 and 8 - could never, ever, ever do secondary school. Poor girl, she must have been traumatized for life. Not to mention being known as the cow snot girl for the rest of her school days...

Quink said...

Compared to the lobotomised, hormonal Year 9s, the Year 7s were a breeze... I'll never forget walking into a Year 9 class and hearing some kid say:

"What did your mum do when she found out you shit in the chip pan?"

Thanks for the welcome, though! I've no idea how you find time to blog and teach...

Annie said...

Ha! Good grief. I know, something's got to give. Got a feeling it will be the teaching first...