Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Metrosexual **

We went to a Shoreditch pub (very, very Shoreditch) and a gay pub, with two lesbians & one gay man. * The lesbians had just started dating two women they met on Myspace, they showed us their photos, these women looked unbelievably beautiful, like a couple of models. They assured us they were even more gorgeous in real life. G was convinced she should try being gay for a while, but the lesbians weren't having any of it. "It's no fun, G. It's hard." Why, we wanted to know. "There's a lot of scary dykes out there, who look like blokes."

In the pub, my innocent question of "Where's the ladies?" was met with "Get a hair cut" by the gay men. When a gay man tells you to get a haircut, you know it's time to go for the chop. The toilets turn out to be unisex, not such a good thing in my book. You could hear people chatting in the cubicles, I don't know what they were doing, possibly drugs (or each other?) but all I wanted was a wee. Oh, and we were molested by a bare-chested man. I think this is quite a cunning ruse for straight men - hang out at gay pubs and there's no competition, you'll have carte blanche there amongst any ladies present.

* I'm not, like, just defining them by their sexuality but the conversation did revolve quite a lot around this.
** thanks to G for the title (and for inviting me)

17 comments:

David said...

Are you supposed to go to a unisex toilet with someone then?

*makes careful list*

Annie said...

I always thought 'uni' meant 'one'. You could understand it if it was called a 'bisex' toilet...

David said...

or a 'multi'

Anonymous said...

I love pub crawling around Shoreditch. My wife prefers it to Hackney because there are as many loonies but they aren't so scary. I tell her its only because they are more middleclass Shoreditch.

I remember a drunken discussion with a (girl) friend of mine who had a real problem with homosexuality, both male and female. When I gave her the standard (but still true) line about not caring what consenting adults get up to in private I gave up and explained it to her like this: Gay men are fine because by being gay they remove some of the competition and gay women are fine because all men secretly (or not so secretly) wish they could watch.

Anonymous said...

I can't belive anything with the words "myspace"

Myspace makes me want to poke my eyes out with a rusty chopstick.

Every time you say something nice about myspace a fairy dies.

Annie said...

Hi, the Changing Man, fellow East London resident! You're my first ever visitor from LiveJournal! You're right, Shoreditch has a better class of nutter(or a least better dressed).

Adrian, aw, and there I was going to get myself on Myspace and become signed up by a major record company. But if you say not...

Anonymous said...

DON'T KILL FAIRIES!

Cream said...

This is a great insight into Metrosexuality!
I feel I have learnt a lot about plumbing!

coolbuddha said...

Gay people turn his & hers into 'unisex toilets'? Nah. It's almost as good as saying that you 'drag' someone to a gay pride.

Annie said...

Adrian, stop it, you'll make me cry.

Cream, it's still all a mystery to me.

Coolbuddha - Coolbuddha? You mean, the Prince of Peace, right here on my blog?! Namaste! I'm not sure I understand your comment Coolbuddha. I mean no harm - was just making feeble wordplay on Greavsie's 'unisex' comment...

Dan Flynn said...

Annie,

Adrian's right, I would sooner plunge a machette into my still beating heart than join any site with a name such as (gags) Myspace. Or Twinkle, or Velvet, or Bland Gesture. Urrggghhhh! Or Tremendous Glimpse, or Surge... OHMIGOD I'm infected.

Annie said...

Dan - now, Twinkle, you say...

Anonymous said...

Huh Annie, were we actually at the same joint. Sounds like you had all the excitement. I missed out on that action.

I sense there is an admirer in this dimension.

Beatiful pictures of Victoria Park, as always x

Annie said...

G, I saw you dance with him, you little minx, you can't deny it.
In this dimension? What is this, the Psychic Friends Network? ;-)
Thanks petal. I missed the circus though, bah...

Alda said...

Am I the only one who wants to know why being gay is hard? And the only one who doesn't get the joke about the haircut?

I don't think I'd make a very good gay person.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I must have had a great time cos I don't remember dancing with any one.

Annie said...

Growing Up, thankfully it was all cubicles.

Alda - I don't think it was a joke - I think they were just offended by my appearance ;-) They said it was hard because it is (apparently) difficult to find attractive girlfriends. But I don't think it's any different really.

G, there was definite dancing going on.