Thursday, April 12, 2007

Oye Como Va

I hate exercise, I do. I quite like the weight machines at the gym, but every time I use them some man comes up and tells me I'm doing it wrong. And except swimming, but the pool is always filled with dive-bombing teenagers or excessively aggressive grannies who try and punch you when you pass them in the lanes.

But I like dancing. So I'm joining a salsa class. (If only Latin men didn't always come up to your chin, it would be a good place to meet people. I'm not sizeist, but it is just not appealing to me when you feel like you could pick a man up and throw him over your shoulder with no difficulty.) Undeterred by the fact that I'm extremely malcoordinated when it comes to dancing with someone else, and have not really mastered the art of being lead, tending in fact to step on people's feet and twirl round at the wrong moment, I have visions of taking the floor with supreme confidence style and elan. The best place I ever went dancing was La Paloma in Barcelona (warning, Flash!), it is an old-style dancehall like something out of Moulin Rouge, you can't help but develop Latina attitude in that ambience...

Sadly, Bar Lorca and La Finca on Pentoville Road have both long since closed down, and I would rather stick pins in my eyes than go to the one on Charing Cross Road, which is like hell on earth - anybody know of a good one?

13 comments:

patroclus said...

My lovely colleague E who is nuts about salsa sez: 'The only seriously competent place to learn salsa is Expressions dance studio in Kentish Town'.

Annie said...

thanks P, and E. Ooooh, they also do Flamenco! (And, intriguingly, have listed 'Belly Dancing in Japanese' as an option.)

Annie said...

And pole-dancing!!

Cream said...

I love Salsa but am too shy to go to classes.
I love that Paloma place!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to be able to dance.

With another person, and properly, I mean. I'm totally able to "bop" around the dancefloor bustin' rad dance moves, but actual proper dancing is beyond me as of yet.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of salsa dancing. Apparently it's cause lack rhythm.

Anyway was at "The Cuban in Clapham last night and they had Salsa lessons on. Everyone seemed to be having great fun. Might be worth giving them a call and seeing if any of the ones closer to you do so too?

Anonymous said...

oh, I know what you mean about size, there´s nothing more off putting than dancing with a shorter man salsa style and feeling a "trouser swelling" against your knee (or anywhere for that matter)

I haven´t been to La Paloma yet, maybe you can come and show me your new flamenco skills one day?

llewtrah said...

I don't like exercise except for walking (scenic walks) or "horizontal dancing".

Annie said...

Aw Cream, you should try it, I bet you'd go down a storm in the salsa classes... Check it out if you go again, it's got a great atmosphere.

Matt, I'd pay to see you bustin' your rad moves. See, you already have a dancing partner, take Nikki!

Adrian, if you ever see the Latin Americans do it, it's absolutely amazing to watch. Cool, there is one in the City...

Em, hahaha! Graphic but true. Most definitely, you'd love it. You'd particularly appreciate the random-ness of the clientele, which goes from wardrobe-shaped old ladies & gents doing old-style dancing to mullet-sporting trendies & electro in the course of one evening.

Llewtrah, I know exactly what you mean - and vertical dancing a poor substitute for horizontal dancing *sigh*

Billy said...

My singing is better than my dancing, and it's not often I can say my singing is better than anything.

rockmother said...

Gosh - you are really brave - I would rather stick pins in my eyes than attend a salsa lesson! Hope you find a good one.

Anonymous said...

this is the place to go. It's a great bar as well. It's a wine bar/salsa/tango lessons. Nice people. Very Authentic.

Bar Andalucia

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/clubs_bars/venue-3341.php

Annie said...

Billy, me and RoMo were speculating about karaoke for a next blogmeet so maybe you will get your chance to shine.

RoMo, I bet you'd like it really...

Nice one Bad Sar, I'll check it out.