Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Blind dating

Sometimes I come across a blog and a post that blows me away, and actually makes me want to give up this lark as it reveals starkly what a rank amateur I am in comparison - such a blog and such a post is That's So Pants from right here in sunny Hackney, with Who Moved My Multicultural Britain - so witty, so funny, so intelligent - so go read it, right away, please.

Sometimes I read blogs and think so-and-so from Blog A would love so- and-so's Blog B, and vice versa. I would like to introduce them and see them fall in love with each other's blogs, and go on to have lots of little links.

But you know it never works when you introduce people, it's a minefield. 'What if they don't get on? What if they think Annie clearly does not think much of me, has v poor judgement and is bossy - who does she think she is, telling me who to read?' I was going to do a post on it, but that would be putting people under pressure... so if you would like a personal recommendation for who to read, you can email me and I will let you know in privacy - none of those awkward 'I really like you, but...' conversations need ensue.

(Blind dating reminds me of when my friend's husband in NY wanted to set me up with his friend in Seattle. Yes, Seattle. "Why would I want this girl's email?' he asked, not unreasonably. 'She lives in London.' I finally met this friend at their wedding, and he was, how can I say this, socially unskilled. Why did Ben think we'd be right for each other? Because we were both single, of course!)





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie,

I'm puzzled by these links you ocassionally put at the bottom of your posts. They send me to something called Technorati and I'm never quite sure what I'm supposed to do after that. So... what am I supposed to do after that?

Your befuddled friend,

Dan 'Beta' Flynn

Anonymous said...

They are 'tags' Dan - more for someone searching for a certain subject on Technorati (which is a blog search engine) to find posts, than for you to click on - don't know why I bother really...

Have you never searched for your blog on Technorati? Hours of fun!

http://www.technorati.com/search/

Anonymous said...

Annie,

Doh! God I am so slow. Indeed a snail has just rushed past and wee'd on me leg. Looked at technorati and signed up there and then. Of course they wanted all my goats, a couple of daughters (though managed to fob them off with dull son who'll never amount to much) and my house but what the hell, it's for the future.

Thank you oh Annie, for showing me the way.

x

ps, I'm giddy now.

pps, I have absolutely no idea what any of this weblogwebsiteswebbing means but just love to be with the crowd. Sniff. Cos it's better than being alone...

ppps, is that too much detail?

llewtrah said...

How about the "making up the numbers" game? When single and going out with married/paired friends for an evening they'd invite a single male along to (a) make the sexes equal, (b) keep me from ogling their husbands and (c) match me up with. The single male and I would have nothing in common except for being single. Worse, while I would be well-adjusted to being single, he'd be desperate and there would be the embarrassing end-of-evening "shall we see each other again" line.

Anonymous said...

:)

Anonymous said...

I think their is an age point you get to where you start being introduced to just make up the numbers or just because you are single.

I think this age point varies by the quality of yopur friends.

In which case mine was about 6 years ago.

Meh

Anonymous said...

Dan, a small price to pay to be in with the VIPs. Blogging - you never need be alone again, as I read somewhere. Don't know if this is comforting or sinister.

Llewtrah - 'to keep me from ogling their husbands' made me laugh. Amazing that people still think like this...

Inconsequential - ;-)

Adrian, right. Though mine don't appear to know any other single people - pah, useless friends.