Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Mad Men: A Review

  • Fags fags fags fags... lovely fags. God, I want a cigarette.

  • The bitchy redhead office manager is probably the foxiest woman alive today. I aspire to be a) as bitchy and b) as foxy.

  • I love slimy machiavellian Pete Campbell - a great, complex 3D character such as you rarely see on the telly - you hate him, but can't help sympathizing with his frustrated ambition.

  • Same same for goody two shoes Peggy.

  • Donald Draper - fascinating actor, who can look devastatingly handsome or, um, not, just because he's so morally ambiguous (I got hooked and had to watch far ahead illegally - there is a great twist coming up, featuring his mysterious past... one part of his story wrings the heartstrings, even though he is like a zombie and doesn't appear prey to normal human emotions like guilt or regret, on the surface at least. )

  • The clothes! If I had my way, every man would be wearing a sharp suit and hat, every lady a lovely twinset and heels every day. Here is Rachel Menken, advertising client, looking glam (with a fag, of course.) Oh for cocktail hour and cocktail dresses in the day job.
All in all, 10 gold-tipped onyx cigarette holders out of 10.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh bugger! Something else I meant to watch and then missed. Am I too late to catch up?

Tim F said...

Is it just me, or the photography, or do all those actors look about 12 at most? It's like Bugsy Malone.

Anonymous said...

No Marsha - watch on BBC online with iplayer. I caught up.
God - Annie - did you see the one on Sunday? With the kid and the bathroom - creepy..

Del said...

Quite quite brilliant. So many US series I just lose the thread with, but I am determined to keep up with this one.

Rad said...

Is the redhead Lauren thingy from Six feet under? She's luuuuuuurverlly.

Geoff said...

Love it. Got a nostalgic kick out of the pregnant woman smoking and the kid getting a slap from someone else's dad. Really shows up advertising to be the complete bullshit it is but the families outside work really make it.

Annie said...

Marsha, also if you google 'stream Mad Men' you will find all the episodes fairly easily...

Tim, tis true. Not so noticeable in the programme.

Sar - yes, I wondered if that was going anywhere or just a moment of weirdness.

Del, me too. It's the essence of lazy, not being able to follow a series on TV through lack of attention span...

Rad, true. This is a different redhead though - she was also in Firefly, if you ever caught that (if you didn't, I reckon you'd like it, the basic plot being not a million miles away from a certain renegade spaceship pilot and his spaceship.)

Geoff - right, the anachronisms are great, still quite shocking.

Rad said...

Mate, I love Firefly I have the boxset. :)
She must have played the pseudo-Oirish conwoman then? Breasticles to die for! :D

Del said...

Is 'Lovely Fags' there a Father Ted reference? If so, yay.

Anonymous said...

Love the bit where the kid had a plastic bag on her head and the woman was worried about her dry cleaning. I love Mad Men!

Anonymous said...

Love the bit where the kid had a plastic bag on her head and the woman was worried about her dry cleaning. I love Mad Men!

Anonymous said...

Love the bit where the kid had a plastic bag on her head and the woman was worried about her dry cleaning. I love Mad Men!

Anonymous said...

I love it, but not that much. Sorry, must be my arthritic finger.

Annie said...

Wyndham - if it's worth saying, it's worth saying 3 times I think.

Rad said...

Or even four. :D