Monday, April 28, 2008

Lowbrow movie quiz

Updated... click on comments if you can't be bothered to watch the clips. Alda, I'm glad you didn't know them... I'm a bit ashamed of my lack of cutting-edge movie knowledge...

Who said:

1.) You are my density.
1 point to Broke in Berlin. Brilliant line.


2.) What the hell are we supposed to use man, harsh language?
1 point to the lovely Emordino. A line spoken by a tough-as-nails marine who suddenly realises he can't use his gun. (Here's another clue before you click through... 'They mostly come at night. Mostly.')

3.) I'm really a timid person, I was beaten up by Quakers.
Billy and Tim got this one, 'A love story about two people who hate each other, two hundred years in the future.' From the days when the maestro used to make good, funny films, as opposed to serious, shit films. Tim - Terry Gilliam is Jewish? Hurrah!


4.) He knows nothing of the potential of the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time: forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!
LC got this one, but he doesn't get any points. He's cocky enough as it is. It is from one of my favouritist films ever, spoken by the brilliant David Warner, who goes on to demonstrate that digital watches are harbingers of EVIL.

5.) There's too much testosterone here.

Nobody got this. This is Tyler, GF of Keanu, you have to admit she has a point, what with people jumping out of planes with no parachutes and all.

6.) You Freud, me Jane?

Nobody got this one either. One of those icy blonde heroines fighting back against the hero...



7.)
I'm tired of being a flag. I want to be a bull again.
Tim gets a second point for this, from the best film of all time. I was looking for a good line but every one is a a winner. (This was clearly before he got engaged to Osgood.)


8.) You're just a tourist with a typewriter. I live here.

Tim gets his third point with this one! Tim, you're on fire! ( I was torn between this and 'I'll show you the life of the mind!'

9.) Until mankind is peaceful enough not to have violence on the news, there's no point in taking it out of shows that need it for entertainment value.

Nul points for nobody on this one. You need to watch more chick flicks.


10.) Forget about those, they ain't nothing but trouble.
Del guessed correctly which bear spoke this line. Sorry about the clip, this was the only English language version of it.

Result: Tim is the winner with 3 whole points! Tim, you'll get square eyes.


No Googling now, or we will have words.

11 comments:

Billy said...

Isn't the Quaker one Woody Allen?

Anonymous said...

Oh no. I only know no. 1 is from Back to the Future. All the others are far above my brow.

Tim F said...

3 is Woody Allen in Sleeper.

7 is Jack Lemmon in Some Like It Hot.

Some of the others (8 for example) seem vaguely familiar, but I need a cup of tea first.

Del said...

Got Woody Allen too, but everyone else beat me.

10 is Baloo in the Jungle Book. And boy was that bear onto something. As Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince will no doubt confirm.

Many of the others are familiar and will haunt my every waking moment for the next few days...

Tim F said...

Oooh, oooh, please miss!

8: John Goodman in Barton Fink.

Tim F said...

(Are all the films directed by Jews?)

emordino said...

Oh, oh, number 2 is Aliens. I love that line.

LC said...

Number four is Time Bandits.

Alda said...

I consider myself a movie buff, but those are REALLY tough! I can't get a single one.

Will you post the answers?

Del said...

"They mostly come at night... mostly." I love it when Cartman says that in South Park. Almost as good as they time he's singing 9 to 5 by Sheena Easton and finds all the aborted foetuses.

Alda said...

Oh good. I'm glad it's not just me. :)