Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Magic G - the saga continues

So, I bet you thought I'd forgotten all about our little fanzine?

Well, it's all ready to print, but I've just got a quote from our friendly local co-operative printers, and 50 copies will cost £450. No matter how many times I calculate it, it always seems to come out at £9.00 a pop, which I somehow doubt people will go for.

So I was thinking, maybe I could just post the PDFs on a MySpace page or something (is this possible?) and you could download it and self-assemble it for free, like. (In the meantime I could print up a few hard copies on my home printer to sell in Rough Trade and the groovy shops around Brick Lane. Not too many, as it uses up ink like nobody's business.) It seems a shame to let it languish, when it's so lovely and everyone worked hard on it.

8 comments:

Rosie said...

PDF please, as i live far far away and otherwise won't get my grubby mitts on it at all.

rockmother said...

I can print copies at work semi-secretly...not a problem

Quink said...

Depends how you print it, and how many pages you've got. Litho, full colour printing will be expensive. 2 colour less so. Digital printing cheaper still.

With litho, especially, you can normally print on lots of run-ons relatively cheaply. Why not up the print run?

Anonymous said...

That is pretty expensive, I remember our comic was, I think, 200 copies for £500. Thirty pages, with a card cover and two staples. Printed in Leeds.

Billy said...

I'm happy with a pdf, and I will print it out at home and then photocopy it a couple of times so it's like an old-style fanzine.

Del said...

Yeah, you could go for the authentic old skool experience and photocopy it. My work has a photocopier...

And look no further for hosting. I have webspace and bandwidth I never use. Then you, and anyone else, can post it wherever you want. We could even build a website for it. Just email me.

I could print some copies and give them away at my DJ night. Got another one coming up in May.

Anonymous said...

I think that's a good idea. I wish I was still at my old job where we had a virtual print factory, I would make all your copies for free.

Annie said...

Rosie, more than happy to send you one (if they ever get printed) if you'd like.

I don't want my linkees to pay for them, or people who wrote it, just the General Unwashed Public.

RoMo - you angel.

Billy - hurrah!

Quink - Litho? Digital? Run-On? aargh... I know it works out cheaper per copy to print more, but you still have to pay more upfront, (and then go out and flog them) and I have visions of stacks of them in my bedroom being used as furniture for the next 5 years...

Now another printer has emailed me asking something about DPI on the PDFs I have only a vague idea what this means. Where can you find out how many DPI? It's all getting very technical. Things were never like this in the Sniffin Glue days.

P, was it the Footprinters Co-op you used? Their website is great, really helpful. I wish they were in London.

Del, I ♥ you. What a marvellous plan. I will email you.

Destructor, a virtual print factory! That sounds fabulous. I wish you did too. The frustrating thing is, I could do it at work, but the copy room is always frantic and I'd probably get in hot water if caught.