Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Shoot me now

Dear Miss Black

Have you thought about how much money you will have when you retire?

We are writing to tell you how much State Pension you will get when you reach State Pension age. Retirement may seem a long way off but thinking about it now can make a big difference to your future . This is especially important for you, as women often have less money in retirement than men.

This is because women are more likely to have years when they are not paid in work or when they do not pay into a pension because of their caring responsibilities (for example, looking after children.) This is in addition to the glass ceiling which sees some women paid up to 41 per cent less than men for doing the same job throughout their working life. You may wish to take a part-time job in the mean time to supplement the income from your full-time job. We hear that Threshers are currently hiring, and Macdonalds often have part-time hours which particularly suit female employees.

If you retire at State pension age, we estimate your total State Pension as £78.27 a week at today's prices. As this would not cover accommodation, food, transport or bills in London today, let alone in 30 year's time, we suggest that you do not retire at State Pension age.

Many companies now are widening their recruitment criteria to include older employees. For example, many senior citizens find useful employment in laundrettes or handing out towels in nightclub toilets. Additional income could be generated by voluntarily participating in medical research.

Don't forget, it's never too early to start planning for a happy old age!

Love, the Government xxx

10 comments:

DC said...

I shan't mention my lovely big pension that I'll start getting in 11 years time then.

Anonymous said...

Looks around... Oooh pretty.

David said...

I'm sure you'd make a very glamorous part-time towel dispenser!

Anonymous said...

I feel quite sick after reading this. How depressing!!!

Sar

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Homebase, they employ the elder folk and you get to wear attractive orange dungerees over a green top (or visa versa). I remember getting a letter aged 18 informing me that already I had not paid enough national insurance to get a full pension. Not overly encouraging.

Annie said...

US - bastard. (Still, I guess it's fair enough with the job you do.)

Thanks Rad! It's a work in progress.

Cheers Greavsie. That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me all year.

I know Sar (um, I did make some of it up though.)

Em, Homebase! All is not lost! Maybe when I'm old and destitute they'll let me sleep in the carpark too.

Adrian said...

£78 , thats a good night right there. Spend it now while you still can.

DCveR said...

That is probably £78.27 more than I will get. By the time I retire wellfare will be broke in Portugal.

Mike said...

It's good to see that social security is failing elsewhere in the world too. Hopefully we'll learn from this and revert back to a culture that values its elders.

Annie said...

Dcver, Viking - let's face it, we'll be working til we drop off our perches.