Friday, April 24, 2009

New York street art


Stencil, originally uploaded by Slaminsky.

I had a street art fest in New York, the range and variety was pretty mind-blowing. Dragged poor Jan all around SoHo in the pouring rain, with her kindly holding my umbrella while I snapped, visited insalubrious industrial estate type places in Brooklyn, managed to find the galleries in Chelsea on a Monday when they were closed -doh!

It's clear the war of the graffitti writers upon the 'art fags' is just as fierce as it is here. Lots of beautiful wheatpastes had been torn down and defaced. Can't we all just get along...?

Fans of teh street art can view the slideshow on Flickr here. Look out for the Obama wall (which was left untouched.)

6 comments:

Annie said...

Where is the Obama wall? I'm not finding it.

Also, I dunno if I ever sent you this link or not, but here are the book-making people I was telling you about. You have such a great selection of graffiti pics now, you should put them together.

Annie said...

Ah, thank you for that.

Obama wall here Annie:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slaminsky/3447295400/in/set-72157616736241402/

Anne said...

Fabulous! Thank you!

Annie said...

Thanks, Anne!

Annie said...

this comment thread is Anntastic

Annie said...

Yup, no one else is allowed to comment unless they have 'Ann' somewhere in their name.