Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Model year

This was written a year ago, so is a bit out of date...

M is my new friend. She's a nurse, from Mauritius, an exotic mix of every nationality you can think of. She's the slimmest girl you've ever seen, looks like a gazelle. We went out for her birthday, and what do you think her halfwit boyfriend gave her as a birthday present (bearing in mind she is so slim, you wonder that her legs don't snap in two when she walks around on them)? Was it:

a) jewellery?
b) perfume?
c) an exercise bike?

Yes, you've guessed it. He got her an exercise bike. The mollusc.

M's extreme slimness reminds me of my year of models. For some reason, they kept popping up in my life. It was the year I moved back to London after university. I was sharing a house with 3 boys and 1 girl, two of the boys were photographer's assistants. Sometimes we used to go out with their friends, all photographers, models, fashionistas and indie band types. They were less Vogue and Versace, more The Face and, um, Fara charity shop, into hanging out in grim pubs in King's Cross or Dalston for kicks.

Even drinking with these people was no fun when sitting next to them made you feel like a heifer. And let me tell you, there's nothing more demoralising than living with cute boys who spend all day taking pictures of Kate Moss (really) then come home to you. Oh sure, they said they didn't fancy the models, but did one of them ever make a pass? They did not.

So that was first incident of the models. Then I went to join a temping bureau, and found myself sitting on a sofa alongside many tall, freakishly thin and beautiful girls, all chatting to each other about New York and Milan. Turned out my temp agency shared their reception with Storm, but I found myself wanting to apologise to the receptionist and assure her that I wasn't delusional or anything.

Then I went to see my flatmate's textile degree show. In her year was a certain famous musician's daughter, who's since gone on to have a stellar (ahem) career in fashion. Whilst the other students got to use normal models, this girl called in some favours & got Naomi and Kate to model her collection. As soon as her stuff had been paraded down the catwalk by the supermodels, the photographers from the newspapers got up and left, pretty gutting for the other students who had sweated for 3 years over their degrees, I'm sure you'll agree. But that's a whole other story.

In an attempt to feel good about our lardy selves, now when we see a model on TV, me & the flatmates always have to hiss "Skinnybitch!" Yet you can't help being fascinated by them. Which is why I'm waiting impatiently for the final of "America's Next Top Model" competition on Living TV. My money's on Yoanna to win.*

*update... Yoanna won!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't talk to me about models...

Del said...

I just watched Zoolander. That's kinda spooky. I'm freaked out right here.

Tim F said...

Well I think Kate Moss looks a bit common, and Slaminsky is lovely, so there. I know which one deserves to be photographed in her pants.

Anonymous said...

Zoolander is my favorite film - well one of them. Good choice Del!

Annie - Dave said he saw three freakishly tall models going into Tesco just up from where we live. It was London Fashion week - they were v.skinny. Too skinny he said. Maybe he was just making me feel better cause I am more on the plump side but really - I still believe guys prefer normal height girls even if not totally 100% thin. I might be wrong. I always remember - they don't look so hot without all the makeup and cool clothes.

As for America's T M and Britains Next T M etc etc they are all so f--ing STUPID!!! I can't bear to watch it anymore!

Adrian said...

Ooh, have you heard the Girls Aloud song Models? It's ace.

Anonymous said...

Anyone can be thin if they shovel industrial amounts of coke up their nose. Just to make you feel better they'll probably all die of heart failure before their time.

prolix said...

She's a model and she's looking good. I'd like to take her home that's understood.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Annie said...

G, okay then. (there there...)

Del, didn't you know,I'm psychic?
(Haven't seen it yet, is it good?)

Ah, thank you Tim, I wasn't fishing honest. (only the privileged few are allowed to photograph me in my pants, unlike that common Kate Moss.)

Natalie, I loved Project Catwalk, is it a new one?

Sar - I can confirm, those amazing proportions look kind of strange in real life.

Adrian, haven't heard it yet. Is it sarcastic?

Realdoc - coke, you say...

Prolix - you mean, it only takes a camera to change her mind?

Adrian said...

Annie - Models (along with lots of other fashionista-esque songs) can be downloaded from: http://dontstopthepop.blogspot.com/2006/09/models-fashionistas-glambois-bitch-is.html.