Thursday, September 21, 2006

Read between the lines

Anybody remember Home and Away? How there was always some scamp, some young runaway breezing into town, on the lam from somewhere, a broken family home maybe or from a juvenile facility for pilfering sweeties or something. And they'd be all broke and homeless, telling their woes to Ailsa in the cafe*, and she'd utter the immortal line, 'Why don't you come and work here love?'

Bam! They'd have a shift or three in the cafe to tide them over until their real career turned up.

All my life I've waited for those 3 little words, 'Work for me'. As Wyndham has so eloquently described, job interviews are hell, just the idea of the whole hideous process of finding a new job makes me weary to my very marrow. Anybody want me to come and work for them, love?

* Played by Judy Nunn. In 2004, Judy made a surprising leap into the music business with a string of dance hits sampling her Home and Away dialogue, including the 2005 Sex Over The Phone, which charted in Estonia but was withdrawn in the UK following allegations of chart fixing. - Wikipedia.


10 comments:

Anxious said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anxious said...

*shudders*

I had an interview on Wednesday. What I tend to do is gibber nervously. I'm not a gibberer normally. And for the first 10 minutes, I shake uncontrollably.

But they want me back for a second interview on Monday, so they must have seen something vaguely competent in there...

Señor Tronosco said...

Interviews, it's the only reason I stick with the same job year after year!
Hmm, second interviews, isn't this just an excuse for the company to revel in your discomfort a second time, usually with additional colleagues to share the enjoyment?
Em...Not that i'm trying to worry you, erm...good luck and all that.

Anonymous said...

Come and work for me love. Duties would include skulking around in Barcelona, conjugating spanish verbs, sampling new tapas and watching Catalan cookery programs. Unfortunately can only pay you in chickpeas, but you would get 365 days holiday a year and medical benefits (well, an asprin if you have a headache). Apply in person during the autumn halfterm holiday.

Anonymous said...

Can I please work for Emma? I am very clean and I have a fondness for chickpeas.

Adrian said...

I hate to sound smug, but I'm brilliant in job interviews. I had one earlier this week, and back for round two on Tuesday.

What I find a nightmare is the CV / application letter stage. My background is wildly varied. Sit me in a seat and I can tell you exactly how all experience is good, and everything combines to make me a good candidate.

Writing that on paper, however, just sounds like a pile of wank.

(Incidentally, I really want to hear that Judy Nunn track. I'm a huge H&A fan, but I never see it now due to work.)

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I'm interviewing on Monday. I can only say that the process is nearly as excruciating on the other side of the table.

Annie said...

Anx, the very best of luck, bravo on getting through. I'm with Seth Godin on the end of the job interview

Señor T, that's what the bastards count on...

Ah Em, if only,sounds like my ideal job. Mmm, chickpeas... We can discuss terms at half-term.

Sar, Em, let's form a co-op!

Good luck Adrian! Adrian, I'm good at the application form and terrible at interview - let's swap, I'll do all your application forms and you can do all my interviews. Deal?

Realdoc, go read Seth's article, you may see sense in what he says. Someone's got to come up with a better way of doing things.

Mike said...

I just had an interview yesterday. Ugh. The whole process is designed for us to hate it.

Annie said...

Was it the second one Viking? I'm crossing my fingers for you...