Saturday, July 26, 2008

In which we mingle with Hoxton Twats

Went out clubbing with Marie. Marie is a beautiful, exotic, model-skinny creature which I guess makes me the dumpy ordinary mate, but it turns out quite fun as everyone assumes she's famous and a kind of sea parts before her on entering bars and clubs as the bouncers wave you through.

It's a rare occasion, & I was interested to see what the kids are dancing to these days in the hottest, coolest, most cutting edge of clubs in all of East London. Do you want to know what the kids are dancing to? I will tell you.

Mother/333
It is early, I grant you, but the DJ is spinning to an empty room techno mashups of... Enya. Yes, that's right, Enya. Enya of the Orinocco Flow. All I remember of Enya is my sister dumping her boyfriend when he gave her an Enya album as a birthday present. There was more unlikely techno tunage - the only one I recall now is Crystal Waters' Gypsy Woman. This is what they're playing in Hoxton on a Friday night.

We remove ourselves to the Electricity Showrooms next door. The basement club is rammed, this is more like it. What are the kids going mad for on the dancefloor? Can it really be...? Yes it is. The kids are going mad for Hall & Oates. Maneater, to be specific. Good lord, have I entered a timewarp? Did the last 20 years never happen? Did they dress up in all their Hoxton finery to come out and bust some shapes to Hall & Oates, really?

(Eventually we give in to the 80s madness and our joy knows no bounds when we find a flashing coloured dancefloor, like John Travolta's on the cover of Saturday Night Fever.)

10 comments:

Rosie said...

was it the Orinocho Flow vs. Smack My Bitch Up mashup? i love that.

you're bringing me clubbing when i come to london.

Tim F said...

The borderline between irony and shit has never been so ill-defined.

Annie said...

Nothing so cool, Rosie. It was pure Enya.

*nervously* how about a nice tea dance?

Tim - the worrying thing is I don't even know if it was ironic. For them it was probably like dancing to 60s music would be for us...

Betty said...

I don't know you obviously but somehow I'm not entirely convinced that you could be anyone's dumpy, ordinary mate.

Hmm ... must be fifteen years since I retired from clubbing. Having to go to a club that plays Hall & Oates sounds about as appealing as the sort of clubs where I used to be subjected to a DJ playing Luther Vandross "all nite long". Glad I'm old.

patroclus said...

Ha, I was going to say exactly the same as Rosie - that Enya/Prodigy mashup is brilliant. But pure Enya? Oh dear.

Annie said...

Ah, thank you Betty. Actually I am rather harsh, as it did get much better, but they must have thought I was a bit simple as for a while every time a new tune came on I kept on breaking into giggles on the dancefloor.

P, I will have to track it down, though I still feel guilty enjoying Smack My Bitch Up.

Rad said...

la da dee la da da
la da dee la da da
la da dee la da da
la da dee la da da
la da dee la da da
la da dee la da da
la da dee la da da
la da dee la da da

Annie said...

Tee hee! You have to be a bit more out of tune though, Rad.

Anonymous said...

Marie had a good time - she couldn't stop raving about the studio 54 dancefloor either... hope you slept well.. I thought something was different:) xxx

patroclus said...

You can get it here, about two-thirds of the way down...the others are well worth checking out as well, especially the J-Lo vs K-Co vs S-Wo one.