Saturday, January 14, 2006

Bon temps

What a beautiful weekend it's been. Dragged my arse out of bed to go to deepest north London, to see Emily and new baby, arriving on her doorstep to hear a voicemail saying "Can we cancel?" Bah. She'd forgotten she told me to come over, but seeing as she's had about a nanosecond's sleep in the past four weeks, I forgive her.

Especially as I bump into her and Tamor coming back and we adjourn to the St John with our Canadian architect friend and lovely new girlfriend where he regails us with tales of designing a new police station with blow-up pre-made pods. (don't understand how these work AT ALL. Much conjecture over the flaws in designing a police station around the principles of a bouncy castle.)

The baby is lovely, he has a good head of hair on him. I'd post a picture but for reasons of privacy, will say that he looks like this:

In case you're wondering, it's from Barbapapa, a great kid's book written by a couple of French hippies in the 70s. Barbapapas can change shape. In this book he gets lonely and after travelling around the world, finds himself a Barbamama in his back yard. A moral for us all in this I feel.





Next meet Vanessa in Broadway Market, where we go to the Dove and I try to persuade her to start up one of these here weblog things. Here is a picture from the Dove; gotta love the neon.
When I arrive home there are two new people living in my house. (Friends of L's, not random strangers). I'd forgotten about them coming. And they have quite a lot of stuff. But one of them is a techie God, and will magically make it so that we can have internet in every room in the house, upstairs, downstairs and in my lady's chamber. Rah!

14 comments:

DCveR said...

Barbapapas... that seems like ages ago. I had the books when I was a kid. And there was also the animated version on TV. Next you'll be bringing Chapi Chapo about...

Dan Flynn said...

I quite like the idea of having wireless availability in my house so I can plug the pc in anywhere, or I did like the idea until I read somewhere that it makes it easier for crooks to tap in to your business. Hey, I only want the government to tap into my business if it's not too much to ask. I think if I went wireless I'd probably spend inordinate amounts of time twitching the curtains, looking for white vans parked opposite with strange swarthy types who look like they can pee into a bottle and have steady hands, for it seems to me it is that sort who might steal my e-soul. Wireless capacity, no siree, I like my link with GCHQ to be direct. Oh yeah, and be careful of techno geeks, it's a displacement thing, if you press him I think you'll find he never loved his mother.

Annie said...

Animated Barbapapas! I never saw that, Dcver. I bet it had groovy seventies music too. Nope, we never had Chapi Chapo, obviously we were deprived as kids... do tell.

Oh Dan, you've given me something else to be paranoid about, along with fluoride levels in the water, UVB rays causing skin cancer, thieves rifling through the bins to get bank details and steal your identity... And I was so happy at the thought of reading blogs whilst seated comfortably on the sofa.

Interesting that you assume the techno geek is a "he"... (you're right of course, how did you know?)

Dan Flynn said...

Annie,

You ask how did I know? Well, you see that van at the end of your street...

Dan Flynn said...

...and by the way, isn't it a sad fact that most if not all techno geeks are blokes? So what's going on there then? And lets face it, isn't it nearly always blokes who tramp the outer periphery of aspergers hunting for the ghost in the machine. You can take the boy out of mummy but you can't take mummy out of the boy, hence displacement as avoidence. I'm being flippant I know, but such obsession, such single mindedness, have you seen these boys, the manner in which the caress their hard drive, stroke that keyboard, dream of... I'd better stop now, lie down, maybe take something apart, bugger I need to speak to mum.

DCveR said...

I'll try and gets some vids of barbapapas and of chapi chapo.

And never you mind Dan, us techno geeks are nice guys. Well, some of us at least. And the white van is just the painter who's working on the last house of your street, the real spooks are in the house across the street, the one with the dim light on every night.

Although, with the bugs they already planted in your whole street they could move elsewhere.
:)

Alda said...

Wireless rocks!
I had no idea, incidentally, that Barbapapa was French. Somehow I had them pegged as Scandinavian. Glad I found out - would have been terrible to have lived my whole life with that grave misconception. ;)

Natsthename said...

I would love to know a "techie God!"

Sounds like a good weekend! Cheers!

Wyndham said...

If this is the St John at Archway, which you've mentioned before, then I was in there this weekend. We could have been in the same room. I'm having one of those existential moments

Annie said...

Dan, you may joke, but someone was telling me recently that all men are somewhere on the autistic spectrum, at least mildly. They heard it on Radio 4, so it must be true. (Just try asking a man to iron and make toast at the same time, that's all I'm saying.)

Oh yes indeed Alda. Lookie here for more Barbapapa goodness (must ask techie God how to link in the comment box)
http://www.barbapapa.fr/

Dcver, I LOVE the techie geeks. Where would we be without 'em? When I worked in offices I used to purposely sabotage my computer just so they'd come and talk to me. (Though they usually just said "Have you tried turning it off then on again?")

Nat, I'll send him over to you when he's fixed up our house.

Wyndham, it was St John in Archway- spooky! When worlds collide, hey? It wasn't me that mentioned it before, that's the first time I've been there. Very nice place too.

Wyndham said...

Sorry, my bad grammar - you've mentioned Archway before, is what I meant.

Annie said...

Ah yes. Sometimes I go back to North London, it's like the mothership is calling.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Haha, yes, I remember my li'l sis's comix with Barbapapa, mama, lala et al.

Gee, I need a tech guy around this house too.

Annie said...

Maybe I'll start a loan service, GG.