Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Smile at a stranger day

Yesterday was statistically speaking, the most depressing day (in this part of the world at least). Being dark, cold, after the holidays, no time off in sight, and a Monday to boot. Apparently the way to combat this is to plant a tree, take some exercise and smile at a stranger.

I must have been a day late, felt like a ton of bricks had landed on me today. Until I went to Tescos and the Jamaican woman working on the till gave me a gorgeous smile and said, rather surprisingly, "How are you, my darling?" And guess what, it worked.

8 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Ain't that just great!

When I'm blue, I chat with strangers and let them talk about their lives, it cheers me.

Annie said...

Ah, thank you G. How's it going in your new place? Will stop by and visit later.

I've heard that about Latin American folk GG - over here, it's considered deviant behaviour and possibly a sign of insanity! But it did cheer me up a lot...

Anonymous said...

For me, every day is smile at a stranger day.

Annie said...

You wait, Destructor. You need to live here a few more years, with a little practice you'll be scowling and grouching like the rest of us.

DC said...

I always check my flies if a stranger smiles at me. What does that say about me?

Annie said...

That you are of a modest and humble disposition?

Anonymous said...

I saw a man on the tube once who was campainging to start the movement to "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" - raising his bowler hat and handing out little cards to those who did just that (say hello, and wave goodbye) - he certainly made my day, not too long after the tube bombings and it was very pleasurable to see every commuter with a smile on their chops!

Annie said...

I love it! How I wish I'd seen him, Em.
Must be getting older, but good manners cost nothing hey?

Speaking of good etiquette on the tube, this reminds me of a fantastic station worker on the northern line years ago who used to have a good line in banter. "This is the Northern line. No finer line on the tube. We all love travelling on the Northern line. Everybody breathe in." Everybody used to smile, it alleviated the misery.