Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Book meme

Promise I'll stop with the memes but could not resist this lovely book meme from the witty and handsome Tim:

1. One book that changed your life
Well, not so much my life as my mind, which is quite a powerful thing for a book to do - Toni Morrison’s Beloved, which has as a dedication ‘60 million and more’. As a Jew this took my breath away as it seemed needlessly offensive but by the end of the novel you totally take her point - that slavery was a holocaust that has still not really been acknowledged by history.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once
Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons. Genius, just genius. Satire with a happy ending. She takes very accurate and hilarious potshots at everyone, journalists, writers, film-makers, country folk, city folk… I wish I hadn’t ever read it so could have the pleasure of reading it all over again. I would like to quote the passage on games and the heroine Flora’s habit of ‘running away from the ball’ which beautifully sums up my feeling about sport, but don’t have a copy to hand. (oh, and to add a new category “Character you most identify with’ - Great Aunt Ada Doom.)

3. One book you’d want on a desert island
Ooh, Ullyses or maybe War and Peace, because then I’d finally sit down and read 'em. Or one of those 'learn the guitar the easy way' books. If there was also a guitar on the desert island, otherwise it would just be frustrating. (Or maybe a huge atlas type book which I could then turn into a raft and sail off the desert island on.)

4. One book that made you laugh
Hmm, already told you about Cold Comfort Farm... Tim's already done Douglas Adams... okay then, Mr Tickle, by Roger Hargreaves, always accompanied by some great tickling action.

5. One book that made you cry
I’m pretty stony-hearted usually but Matthew Kneale’s English Passengers made me cry. It’s the kind of book I’d never usually pick up (thought from the cover that it was about boats) but read it in Spain because of the lack of English books. Can't begin to tell you the storyline, it's well complicated. It is a technical tour-de-force, he writes from the point of view of 20 different characters but never loses his grip on the story. Bitterly angry about the effects of colonialism, he really makes you feel the injustice.

6. One book that you wish had been written
Did Mae West ever write an autobiography?

7. One book that you wish had never been written
Blimey, what a bizarre category. Okay, when I worked in bookshops I was always a bit perturbed by the true crime genre. (This was also the most shop-lifted genre, funnily enough. People used to attempt to go out with the contents of a whole shelf of books stuffed down their trousers. Twats.) I mean, what is the appeal of reading about serial killers etc? This kind of curiosity is an ugly side of human nature.

8. One book you’re currently reading
East End Chronicles, by Ed Glinert, a splendid history book all about the dark and dangerous underbelly of London that I currently live in. Medieval Londoners were batshit crazy.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read
Boswell's Life of Johnson. I’ve been to his house, you know.

And you, gentle reader? If you don't fancy the meme, you could tell me what fictional character you most identify with and why...



12 comments:

the whales said...

totally and utterly agree re English Passengers. Really great story.

Not sure i agree with Ulysses etc - but guitar book - now you're talking. If you can make a guitar out of bark and leaves.

Tim F said...

I also enjoyed English Passengers, but had a different reaction; it provoked in me deep revulsion about colonialism, but also made me laugh a great deal, in a very black way. Shades of Evelyn Waugh, I reckon, and there are few higher compliments in my arsenal.

DC said...

1 - I'm OK, You're Ok - Thomas Harris - sort of sorted my head out when I was younger.
2 - Lord of the Rings - read it about 10 times in 30 odd years - sad?
3 - Something by Ray Mears.
4 - Spike Milligan's autobiographies.
5 - I don't think a book ever has.
6 - Karl Marx - 'Why I Was Completely Wrong The First Time.'
7 - Mein Kampf.
8 - Hemingway - Death in the Afternoon.
9 - I have a 'to read' pile of about 20 books at the minute. I just can't stop buying!

Shyha said...

1. One book that changed your life
I think the greatest influence on my life had "Slaughterhouse #5" by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once
James Fenimore Cooper - "Red Corsair"

3. One book you’d want on a desert island
"How to live alone on every dessert island across the globe" by some very experienced traveller :)

4. One book that made you laugh
"Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming" by Roger Zelazny and Robert Sheckley

5. One book that made you cry
Don't remember any. Maybe some books from my childhood?

6. One book that you wish had been written
I have some ideas :) I will share them with you after signing NDA ;]

7. One book that you wish had never been written
"Mein Kampf"

8. One book you’re currently reading
Boris Vian as Vernon Sullivan - some books of his stories (don't remember the exact title)

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read
"A Midnight Clear" by William Wharton

Anonymous said...

1. One book that changed your life

The Velveteen Rabbit - was the first book I ever read on my own.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once

Shogun - I almost learned basic Japanese reading it.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island

Anything written by Ray Mears:)

4. One book that made you laugh

Probably Sex In The City books - Candace Bushnell

5. One book that made you cry

Anne of Green Gables series (almost all of them) and Watership Down.

6. One book that you wish had been written

Hmmm. That is tough! Maybe a book with the answers to what I should do with my life!

7. One book that you wish had never been written

Anything on how to make bombs or how to shoot animals or books on guns. Also anything on seriel killers biographys cause they just end up making money on horrific things they have done.

8. One book you’re currently reading

The Historian - SO GOOD! It's about Dracula. Annie - Cat his it right now but get it off her after. Spooky.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read

I keep picking up Pride and Prejudice but I keep putting it down again. I wish I could finish the Lord of the Rings as well but too many songs.

bloggin the Question said...

i'm very pleased you mention Mr Tickle by R.H. Did you read the others? I had the whole collection, my parents wanted me to learn english that way. Mr Nosey would have stuffed true crime downhis trousers like a twat.
I don't know why everyone is so down on Mein Kampf, it's only a book. If A.H had spent more time writing maybe he wouldn't have bothered with genocidal mania. I wish he had written a whole "Mein" series. Mein klein hund, mein klein maus, mein klein schwein, etc a delightful series of animal related childrens books, instead of instigating world war two and fashioning him self as a symbolic arch enemy of humanity

Billy said...

I don't know who I identify with the most, but I'd like to be Zooey from Franny and Zooey.

Anonymous said...

1. One book that changed your life
"Beyond Good And Evil" - Friedrich Nietszche. Made me drop out of university.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once
"The Razor's Edge" - W. Somerset Maugham

3. One book you’d want on a desert island
A guide to the stars

4. One book that made you laugh
"The Overcoat" - Gogol

5. One book that made you cry
"The Easter Parade" - Richard Yates.

6. One book that you wish had been written
"The Hag's Downfall - how the IRA killed an entire government with a single hotel bomb"

7. One book that you wish had never been written
The Old Testament

8. One book you’re currently reading
Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read
"The Origin of Species" - Charles Darwin.

Annie said...

Hi the Whales! Yes, or perhaps from vines, coconuts and seashells...

Tim, it was very dark and very funny - I like Evelyn Waugh too, but he does sound like a total bastard by all accounts. (I understand from my time at university that this is not a valid literary criticism.)

US - no shame in liking Tolkien, I felt bereft when I came to the end of LOTR. I'm guessing you're not a Marxist then...?

Shyha, interesting choices. I always get 'Slaughterhouse 5' confused with 'Catch 22', another good book.

Bad Sar - the Velveteen Rabbit! What a brilliant first book! Re: Lord of the Rings 'Too many songs' tee hee! How right you are! You are allowed to skip the songs.

Helga, your grasp of English is amazingly sophisticated considering you learnt all you know from the Mister Men books.

Re: Mein Kampf, ha ha ha LOL! How very true... if only he'd stuck to Mein Klein Maus instead of Mein Klein Lebensraum, history would have been so different.

Billy, silly question but it's a while since I read it - is Zooey the brother or the sister?
Meanwhile, here is a Salinger cover for you...

http://slaminsky.blogspot.com/2005/09/favourite-book-covers.html


Hurray for Bad Sarah's other half! Other half, you have very highbrow taste in books, I noticed when I stayed over. And why do you wish the Old Testament had never been written? You think this would have stopped religious wars etc? I think not. Plus it does have some interesting writing in it.
(Re: Philip K Dick, I just saw 'Through a Scanner Darkly' and it really made me want to read the novel...)

realdoc said...

Good choices Cold Comfort Farm especially. I did that meme too and I can't believe that Billy would like to be Zooey. If only I was 10 years younger.

Del said...

I might do the meme on my site, so I'll save my answers for then!

As for fictional character... regrettably it's probably Rob from High Fidelity. Because he's a blokeveryman, grew up in the same town as me, lives in the same part of London as me, and is obsessed with music like me. Just 10 years older. He's almost like a warning of my possible future self.

patroclus said...

Hmm, might do this meme myself also. Agree all the way about Cold Comfort Farm, that's such a great book.

Like the pretentious twat that I am, I identify most with Antoine Roquentin out of Sartre's 'Nausea'. You know, the one who stares at himself in the mirror until his face ceases to make sense. That's about *all* he does, other than stare at tree roots until they cease to make sense, and fail to write his book. Classic case of 'waster who thinks too much'. Love him.