Thursday, November 09, 2006

Avarice

You know every time you have an trifling, idle question, like, say, 'what is Kevin Rowlands really singing on Geno?' In the past your idle question would go unanswered, so it gives me a little buzz every time I remember that Google exists and I can find out.

So there I was idly surfing, when I remembered I'd once read that Kate Bush's Cloudbusting was based on a children's book, and I'd always wondered which one, and if I could track it down & read it.

A little light research and it turns out that it was based on A Book of Dreams, Peter Reich's memoirs of his father Wilhelm - yes he of the Orgone Energy, something our Helga knows all about. The song was about harnessing the power of orgasms to make it rain - who'd have known?

I would quite like to read this , it sounds fascinating growing up with such a dad - but when I went to find out if it was still available, turns out it's out of print and now goes for a cool 80 dollars, just in paperback, at least...

Now I know I can't have it, I REALLY want to read it.







9 comments:

Anonymous said...

But who wants rain? Maybe it´s specially for desertfolk or farmers? And Manchester must be the UK´s most orgasmic city!

Anonymous said...

PS - it would be nice if someone could work out how to harness sloth. Then I could make myself useful...

Señor Tronosco said...

Been here before...obscure question/memory + google + amazon + one click buy = Arse! (i own a porcelain figurine of 'Our Lady of Guadalupe')?

Vamos, treat yourself or add it to your letter to Papa Noel.

Billy said...

Also inspired a song by Rip, Rig and Panic: "Wilhelm Show Me the Diagram (Function of the Orgasm)" - I'm off to soulseek to find it!

Annie said...

Em - ha! Yes, they say he was a genius, but this makes you wonder.

I won't hear a word said against sloth - it might take sloths all day just to open their eyes and maybe have a stretch, but they live incredibly long (and relaxing) lives - a lesson in this for us all I feel.

I really really really want to read it now - Em, click on the Amazon link and scroll down for the review, it looks so interesting...

Señor T, I know you love all things Spanish but you want to be careful, I would draw the line at Lladro...

Billy - and Patti Smith apparently, a lot of 'Birdland' is taken from the book

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that the people of Ballykissarse must be at it like rabbits because it is pissing down here.

Annie said...

Well, people have to make their own entertainment in the country.

Maybe Reich was confused, and meant to make the rain go away...

Mike said...

Read about it?? I'd like to test it firsthand!

Annie said...

Viking, don't you have enough rain in Seattle?