Sunday, November 26, 2006

Sunday night pop quiz

Come on now... only 7 and 8 to go...

In the meantime, have a listen to number 10, Prince's Girls and Boys

Stealing an idea off the lovely Realdoc, who is much more cultured and does first and last lines of books - these are lyrics from pop tunes - but which?

No Googling, or there'll be trouble.


1. Tell us a story, I know you're not boring
The Strokes, Reptilia - Anxious, Betty

2. Alimony, alimony paying your bills
When your conscience hits, you knock it back with pills
Led Zeppelin, Living Loving Maid - Señor T

3. You hear some fuss, you're like 'what's the clamour?'
It's just me naked on the cover of Glamour
Beastie Boys , Brouhaha - Gordon

4. Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk
Heart Attack and Vine - Tom Waits - Gordon

5. England my country the home of the free, such miserable weather
The Sundays - Can't Be Sure Corin, (1/2 point) Betty

6.
Ain't he cute? No he ain't
He's just another burden on the welfare state
Too Much Too Young, The Specials - The Whales

7. You won't walk for days
I wanna waste some time
You wanna be so mean
Y ou love to watch
Goldfrapp, Ooh La La Greavsie

8. I try my very best to be just like I am
But everybody wants you to be just like them
They say sing while you slave and I just get bored
Bob Dylan, Maggie's Farm. Tsk. Can't believe no one got this. You bunch of philistines.

9. No, I don't want your number
No, I don't want to give you mine
No Scrubs, TLC - Betty, Patroclus, Corin (1/2 point)

10.
She had the cutest ass he'd ever seen
He did too, they were meant to be
Girls and Boys, Prince - Emma



19 comments:

corin said...

Ordinarly terrible with music questions (as you may recall from the Big Gay Pop Quiz) I think I can get a couple:

5: By the Sundays, I can't remember the title, but the next line is 'England's as happy as England can be / Why cry?'

and 9: is Scrub, by a band whose name I can't remember.

That's quite a lot of not remembering, isn't it? Perhaps I'm still pretty terrible with this stuff...

the whales said...

6. Too much, Too Young. The Specials

Great song.

Anxious said...

1. Reptilia - The Strokes?

patroclus said...

9. is No Scrubs by TLC (oh, the shame of that being the only one I know...)

Shyha said...

Miserable me. I have absolutely no idea.

Betty said...

I can recognise Reptilia by The Strokes (1), Can't Be Sure by The Sundays (5) and No Scrubs by TLC (9). Then again, so has everybody else ...

Gordon said...

3. I wanna say Beastie Boys but can't remember the track (presuming it's them!).

4. is Heartattack and Vine by Tom Waits. GROWL.

And yer killing me with 10.. I KNOW I know it... dammit brain, come on!!

Annie said...

Well done Corin. Half a point each for good effort.

Well done the Whales - can you imagine a line like that in a song today? They don't make 'em like that anymore...

Anxious, bravo!

Patroclus, well done. (I am shocked! Shocked!)

Shyha, I wouldn't be able to read Polish song lyrics, let alone say which song they are from, so you're doing alright.

Bravo Betty! I will give you 3 points, because I am not strict like 'Scary' Jeremy Paxman.

Gordon, you are absolutely right - the fantastic next line is
on stage or at the spa,
guaranteed to bring the brouhaha.

I love nonsense lyrics.

Tom Waits indeed - another lyric I admire muchly.
Philly Joe Remarkable looks on in disbelief...

Yup, you'll kick yourself when you know...

Anonymous said...

Last one is Prince, Girls and Boys from the album Under a Cherry Moon. I would be ashamed not to have got that.

Anonymous said...

sorry sorry, the album was Parade the soundtrack to Under a Cherry Moon - getting a bit rusty in my old age...

patroclus said...

Ooh, I was just coming in here to say the last one was something by Prince. Wouldn't have got 'Girls and Boys', though. Nice work Emma!

Señor Tronosco said...

Have I missed out? No.2 Easy...Led Zeppelin - Livin Lovin Maid. Of course she's just a woman.

Annie said...

Yes, well done Em - Parade reminds me of you a lot, so I should think so!

Patroclus, my other favourite Prince lyric is in 'Nothing Compares To You' - pleading with his lover to come back to him 'I know that living with you baby was sometimes hard, but I'm willing to give it another try...' !!

Not just any Señor T - one with a purple umbrella and a sixty cent hat...

the whales said...

Annie, i had that engraved on my brain all day (while i was trying to teach!). What a great song. When i was young and watching totp, that song had an enormous effect on me. It was the second line that reminded me.

Oh, the days of politically-propelled music.

Annie said...

Good good, shall I hum a few bars of Ghost Town for you today?

I know, I feel like an old granny but even if you get the odd political tune nowadays there'll never be another punk/new wave... sigh...

Anonymous said...

7 = Goldfrapp Lalalalalalalal oh (I think you get the idea)

Annie said...

Go Greavsie!!

WHY HAS NO ONE GOT NUMBER 8??? Tsk! Don't any of you know your pop history? I can't be the only person who listens to him!

Del said...

Bugger, I missed this. You only gave us 3 days! Must pay more attention...

The early bird etc.

Annie said...

Yes, life in the fast lane hey...