Thursday, October 30, 2008

A man about a dog

"I've lived here 12 years. The bloke upstairs was writing letters to the housing association, the council, the ombudsman, people I'd never heard of, complaining about my dogs - but he never come and knocked on my door and spoke to me, I didn't know who it was complaining, I'm getting letters saying people are complaining and threatening me I'm going to lose my home, but I don't know who's doing it, right?

One time I got so frustrated, I went and shouted outside the flats, cause I knew if I went to him that would be harrassment, and he could hear me... You can't believe someone would want to make you lose your home and not come and talk to you about it. He was a quiet bloke with a bike, never said nothing to me, he was throwing stuff down on my dogs, poisoned bones with vinegar on them, you know what that does? It rots their stomachs and makes them ill. Only reason I knew, the girl next door filmed him and showed me.

I'm a good lad, you know? I grew up in Hackney and I used to be a bad boy, with the wrong people, but I'm trying to do the right thing now and stay in work. My mates said, do you want us to set fire to his house? And I go, no no, it's my home too - the old me would have done that, but not now. There used to be break-ins here but since I got my dogs there's been no trouble, they're guard dogs. When I moved in here I used to have my mates round and they said I was drug dealing, but I was just a young bloke, and my friends all still lived at home, they just came around here a lot...

I don't feel safe here, that's why I got my dogs, I don't know why someone like you wants to live here, I don't want to live here. I worry about my son, and my girlfriend. It's not a good place to live, what is there here? I've got ten dogs, the rest are with her. We don't get on when we live together, so this is the only place I've got. There's lots of Muslims on this estate, lots of Africans, and they don't like dogs, it's in their culture. He was Jewish, they don't like dogs either. I asked the housing association to move me, but they won't, they say it'll just be a problem somewhere else.

I'm not racist, my dad's black, my mum's white - I didn't live with them though, I grew up in children's homes and foster homes. I'm used to being on my own, I'm okay with that, I've always had dogs, they're loyal. He told me he was renting the place out, and I thought, whoever moves in can't be worse than him... he didn't say he was selling the place. I try and read people, and I can tell you're trying, I respect the fact that you came and spoke to me, he never did that. I'll put a muzzle on them when I go out, and I'll check out this trainer stuff you've given me... My dogs are the only trouble you'll have living here, it's not rough or anything."

8 comments:

Bowleserised said...

Well done, girlfriend. Handled like a grown up.

GreatSheElephant said...

So it's not rough but he doesn't feel safe. Hmm.

Ten dogs? TEN?

GreatSheElephant said...

And since when did not white = not racist?

While I take Bowleserised's point, what you've got there is a masterclass in passive aggressive manipulation. I bet you feel really sorry for him now, while now also being aware that should he choose to he could get his mates to torch your place. What a turd.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, you're brave. I think that cunning old dog-hating Jew - they're like that, them Jews - before you was very inventive throwing vinegary bones at the noisy bastards. Well, at least he's said he'll do something about it. And hopefully you'll only bump into him on the stairs about once every fourteen years.

Annie said...

Thanks, B, that's much appreciated.

GSE, I know, but on the other hand, I think he's just not the brightest spark in the world, rather than manipulative. I quite like him. I just wish he didn't live downstairs.

Thanks, BiB. He made the 'I'm not racist' remark because I said 'I'M JEWISH' before he could dig himself into a deeper hole. I've nothing against him personally, but I won't live with noise, I won't have it, do you hear me?

GreatSheElephant said...

You are too nice. I don't suffer from that problem.

Aren't there some sort of ultrasonic gadgets on the market that are capable of turning dogs off? Or would that just make them bark more?

Del said...

Hmmm. Well at least he knows now. Hope the situation improves in your favour.

Annie said...

GSE - yes, I've given him details of all the stuff on the market - that's what I mean about not too bright - you'd think he would have done something about it BEFORE being dragged to court to pay a huge fine and lose his pets...?

Del, thanks hon. Soon it will be No More Mrs Nice Guy...