Sunday, October 05, 2008

Getting back on the saddle

The year before last I was internet dating. I started seeing someone for a while (I didn’t write about it because I stupidly mentioned my blog on the first date – though in fact, he unforgivably never once looked at it ‘What’s it called again?’ he’d say). He was lovely but there was just no Vrrrrrm between us… no Grrrrr… no something, anyway.

He had a house, and enough money, and was talking about setting up his own business, but he didn’t really need to, and spent the day quite happily on message boards. I knew this would drive me crazy after a while. He had everything he wanted, he just needed a woman, and I could see it would be so easy to fit right in there. I entertained the thought for a while – just imagine, no going to weddings on your own anymore, or getting home from parties alone; imagine how handy he would have been in this situation… (Not for long though, because of lack of vrrrrm.)

I must get back on it though. I keep using the excuse of not having a decent photo (the one I used – and coincidentally the one he used – last time was quite old, not because I was lying on purpose about my age but because I’m so chronically unphotogenic, it was the only reasonable one in living memory.)

*sigh* Have you tried it? Anyone recommend a good site? (I hear that My Single Friend is full of swingers.)

10 comments:

Bowleserised said...

The Onion's personals. Although you may end up with an American*.


*Not too awful a fate, I find. Most of the time.

patroclus said...

Certain members of my family swear by OKCupid, but I've no personal experience of internet dating sites. I once joined one for about five minutes, but then I came over all self-conscious and had to delete my profile.

Clair said...

I've just spent an hour on the phone with a chum who has given up on internet dating - she's been on My Single Friend, about who several of my friends have NOT been raving.

Rosie said...

i use my blog. it gets me in all sorts of trouble.

wasn't there a photo of you at a wedding in NYC a while back? i liked that one very very much.

Anonymous said...

My Single Friend is the one that everyone at work is using. I don't know much about it but my mate Z seemed very positive about her results.

Rosie said...

i saw an ad for a new irish one today, lonely.ie

there's too much honesty in that, even for me.

Annie said...

B - aha, The Onion. Aw, that's kind of romantic...I never thought of the Onion.

Patroclus, Ok Cupid would have been a much better name for this post. I know what you mean, this is why the photo is all-important - so no one you know actually recognises you.

Clair, I hear mixed things - I guess it's pretty random and dependent on luck.

Rosie, thanks hon - that was in 2001, do you think that's cheating? 3 years of blogging has not led to so much as a snog, bah.

Sar, interesting, how so?

Lonely, tee hee! I'm going to set up one called Celibate & Desperate... (along with Em's idea of a Jewish dating site, Have I Got Jews For You.)

Del said...

Still undecided on Match. Met some nice girls on it. And been messed about too. But had exactly the same experience meetings girls in reality over the same period of time. So, y'know...

And unphotogenic? Pah! Nonsense. For instance, the Astroboy T Shirt pic of you is great!

You go on Have I Got Jews For You, and I'll sign up for Be Gentile With Me.

Annie said...

Thanks hon. Ha!Trying to think of a name for a Muslim dating site now, unsuccessfully.

Anonymous said...

she said it was interesting because your friends are meant to write the blurb about your personality and she felt it was more honest than other dating websites...hope that makes sense.