Thursday, March 26, 2009

Karma Coma

Feelings, seriously, who needs them? Since my doctor prescribed happy pills for the losing-of-the-plot-from-the-bark-bark-barking, have been untroubled by feeling much of anything. Situations where I should feel, I don't know, enraged, sad, happy, frustrated, excited, disappointed, I'm observing calmly... it's like watching fish swimming about underneath a layer of ice at the bottom of a lake. Or something. May just triple the dose and float off into the stratosphere. (though I suspect it doesn't really work like that.) Modern science, isn't it wonderful? I was thinking I'd stay on it for only a few months, but maybe this glacial calm would be worth pursuing forever and ever?

It reminds me of Brave New World. Didn't really get it at 16, I must re-read it, it would make much more sense now - I wish I had it in front of me. At one point, the Savage, an unreconstructed human rescued from the wilds, brought into this world of technology and soma* and hedonism, makes this great speech when someone asks him if it's really a bad thing to have eliminated pain and disease and misery from the world, if he would really have them back again, and he claims them all.

I was on his side when I first read it, never realising as an adult I might be on the side of the Brave New World.






* "There's always soma to calm your anger, to reconcile you to your enemies, to make you patient and long-suffering. In the past you could only accomplish these things by making a great effort and after years of hard moral training. Now, you swallow two or three half-gramme tablets, and there you are. Anybody can be virtuous now. You can carry at least half your morality about in a bottle."

13 comments:

Geoff said...

Shit, I must be on the wrong pills.

Mine only seem to affect my digestion which is the aim but I'd like to feel nice and calm all over which should be the result of taking the pills I'm taking.

Arabella said...

It makes me seethe because a considerate person has to take a pill in order to get through each day because of the behaviour of a moron. It makes me seethe to the extent that I need a pill. Seriously.

Rad said...

I'm with Arabella, I'm seriously gutted about this Annie. :(

Anonymous said...

I always thought the Savage was an eejit. From hearing other people talk about the book I took it that I was supposed to feel sympathy for him, but I couldn't see it. As far as I'm concerned, Mond destroyed him in that debate.

Having said that, I reckon there are better options than chemical numbing. What you want to do is pull a Helmholtz and go live in an artist colony.

Bowleserised said...

So now you'll be serene enough to sell the flat to someone without feeling bad about it and move somewhere quieter?

Annie said...

Geoff, that's no good... everyone reacts differently I guess, or I'd suggest switching.

Arabella, aw, thanks for the support.

You too Radski - don't worry, I'm fine really ;-)

Emordino, I think I came round to your viewpoint eventually, though I think Huxley wanted you to identify with him. Artist colony? Where do I sign up?

B, I have put it on the market (they have taken out an injunction against him so don't have to feel bad about selling it on sneakily) but nobody's biting in the current climate... May just rent it out instead, and live elsewhere. *sigh*

patroclus said...

I had the same as you. I came off them in 2004 and my emotions are only just coming back now.

rockmother said...

Oh blimey Mrs. I second what Arabella said. Glad there is an injunction out on the fruitcake, not glad you are still suffering. If you can rent it out then do - I think that's a good idea i the circumstances xxxx

Annie said...

Oh, Patroclus, my lord! Congratulations on your wedding, my dear x

I'm alright, RoMo - now I know I'm not stuck with barkingness indefinitely x

Rad said...

Who's taken out the injunction and what are the terms of it mate?

emordino said...

If you're looking for a colony, you could do worse than this.

Anonymous said...

Annie, so sorry for you and how fucking enlividing that what should have been such a lovely process of you settling into your own place has turned into a health-harming nightmare. Buggeration. And you look sad in the photo Annie Rhiannon took of you.

Sending you goodness and happiness and jolliness psychically. (Send me some back.)

Annie said...

I send you all the goodness and happiness and jolliness in the world, darling BiB. I'm fine my dear. I'm thinking it might be a blessing in disguise in a way - having your own place is great, but not if it locks you into a job you can't stand. Swings and roundabouts. I am not sad really - maybe a bit hungover in the photo ;-)