Sunday, October 23, 2005

Buffy Caza Vampiros

Sorry, I feel like it was false advertising, but we didn't make it to Howl's Moving Castle, as it was showing nowhere local. Instead we went to see Serenity, which elsewhere Dan has reviewed much better than I could. Serenity was written and directed by Joss Whedon, who conceived the series Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Joss Whedon is much admired for his story-telling genius in Slaminsky Mansions, let me tell you. So instead here is a little personal Buffy history...

I started watching this in Spain, where it was known as Buffy - Caza Vampiros. Like most Spanish telly, it was dubbed: "Weellow - a donde vas, Weellow?" The Spanish actress who dubbed Buffy had an incredibly mature, womanly voice which did not really match with the youth of Sarah Michelle Gellar.

And the dialogue made it somewhat hard to follow, my Spanish vocab being geared more towards asking for 3 tomatoes in the market and less towards phrases such as "demon from the portals of hell". My favourite character, who sometimes turned into a wolf, appeared to be called "Oth". (How the letter Z is pronounced in Spanish.)

Despite all these obstacles, I was hooked, hooked! Who taught Buffy those kick-ass karate moves? Who was her funny red haired friend? And this manically crazy blonde baddie whose energy burned up the screen? What was Billy Idol doing in the series, and what was his relationship with Buffy? If only I could understand what was going on!

Then I came back to England, and went round to look at a room in a house, belonging to a friend of a friend. And lo, there on the shelves in the living room was the entire series of Buffy, from beginning to end. I decided to move in.

10 comments:

Adrian said...

I spent friday night trying to explain to Dan how great Buffy was. Unsuccessful.

Serenty was great wasn't it. Mmmm River Tam ....

Annie said...

Serenity was great - though Daniel, I got the impression that it was very condensed from a story unfolding with more leisure (ie Firefly). Hopefully it will be re-shown on Sci-Fi sometime. By the way, why are you such a man of mystery? Do you have an URL? Your profile is not available, you know.

Adrian, River Tam is very cute, if bare-footed. I was glad they finally gave the girl some boots for her showdown with the ravenous cannibals.

Adrian said...

If you watch the one FF episode about her with Josh's commentary on, it explains why she is bare foot alot.

I love a girl who can use an axe properly.

Natsthename said...

Serenity and Firefly are both on my list of great sci-fi! (Nathan Fillion is SO damn cute, too!)

I have never seen Buffy, but I'm about to start renting the series and enjoying Whedon's work!

Annie said...

Natalie, I'm jealous - you're going to have fun

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Oh my gosh, this is so weird. What I mean is, last night we had guests to dinner and we were talking about Dracula and Guyana's very own version of vampire, the old huige.

'Buffy the vampire slayer' used to scarrrrre meeee....

Wyndham said...

The trouble is, I know so many Buffy bores, its' put me off for life.

Anonymous said...

oops- Annie I am Dan/Daniel/Destructor, we're all the same person. That daniel profile was a hangover from my blogger days.

Annie said...

GG, tell us more...
Dan, aha, I see. Split personality, hey?
Wyndham, if it's on tv, give it a try. It really is good.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Annie, it's such a long tale I decided to post it brrrr...