Friday, October 28, 2005

Oprah style book club

At the moment I seem to have a very short attention spa- oh, look, the Simpsons is on!

Which is maybe why I have 6 books on the go and can't seem to finish any of them.

Here they are -

John Gray, Straw Dogs - Thoughts on Humans and Other Animals. The two pages I have read are very, very interesting.

Frankie & Stankie, Barbara Trapido - Fantastic memoir of growing up under apartheid.

The Scapegoat - Daniel Pennac An entertainingly silly French crime writer.

Change Your Mind - A Practical Guide To Buddhist Meditation. Paramananda
. Don't mock, his writing is crystal clear. Apparently when you can't concentrate it's a "desire for sense experience" sometimes called "'monkey mind' from the image of a monkey frolicking in a tree laden with fruit; he does not even bother to finish one fruit before he jumps onto the next."
I have a monkey mind.

Bob Dylan Chronicles Inside the head of Bob. Thanks to the clerk at Borders who said "Good choice" and gave me a chocolate bar for free when I bought it.

Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis.
A different type of rock biography. Girls! Drugs! Music! More drugs! More girls!

I have too many books and not enough bookshelves. Inspired by Anthony's example (give it away, give it away, give it away now) if you fancy any of these books, dear reader, drop me a line and I will send it to you. (except for Straw Dogs, which isn't mine). If you don't want to reveal your address, I believe the Post Office will hold items for a small fee.

10 comments:

Adrian said...

I'll take scar tissue, if it's on offer. I can send you a book on sting theory which I'm ploughing through if you like. I stopped understanding it about 4 chapters ago but I can't bare to let it defeat me.

DCveR said...

Now that is something I wouldn't do. I can easily get in a book store and buy a book to offer just out of the blue, but part with any of my books? No way.
Thanks for the offer, though I am passing.

adrian: Try the "Elegant Universe", the simplest way to string theory, Greene can really explain it all in an easy way.

Adrian said...

dver, I'm reading the "Elegant Universe". Greene just doesn't have the skill that Simon Sing does, in making difficult concepts easy to understand. And I did physics 3.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I want to read so many books, at one time I was reading like 4. I decided to stop this habit, read them one at a time. Right now I'm ploughing through Holy War Inc by Peter L Bergen.

Annie said...

Adrian, it's yours, just let me know where to send it. You all have serious intellectual taste in books. String theory - as in, how long is a piece of...?

rashbre said...

I, too, have the surfeit of books problem.

If its any help I read the Dylan one a short time ago and here's my brief commentary about it.

rashbre

Adrian said...

Actually in "How long is a point"

Annie said...

Good commentary Rashbre. I saw the Scorcese documentary too, the fans' shock when he went electric was pretty funny.

Adrian I just looked up string theory. I take my hat off to you, for reading a whole book about it.

Adrian said...

I'm reading, but I'm only 'getting' about 10% of it. It makes me laugh that eveyone is freaking out about evolution currently state side. Like evolution is all that complex. Not compared to the fundementals of the universe.

Annie said...

freaking out about evolution? You mean about having to teach it (and not creationism?)