Sunday, October 02, 2005

Inscription for a bedroom ceiling

Daily dawns another day
I must up and make my way
Though I dress and drink and eat
Move my fingers and my feet,
Learn a little, here and there
Weep and laugh and sweat and swear,
Hear a song, or watch a stage
Leave some words upon a page,
Claim a foe, or hail a friend -
Bed awaits me at the end.

Though I go in pride and strength,
I'll come back to bed at length.
Though I walk in blinded woe,
Back to bed I'm bound to go.
High my heart, or bowed my head,
All my days lead but to bed.
Up, and out, and on; and then
Ever back to bed again.
Summer, winter, spring and fall-
I'm a fool to rise at all!

Not by me, but by Dorothy Parker.

Sometimes it's very, very hard getting out of bed.

3 comments:

DCveR said...

You made me feel like calling in sick tomorrow.

Annie said...

Do it! You're a grownup - they can't get you for playing hooky any more...

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

We had a laundry bag that proclaimed:

"I slept and dreamt that life was beauty.
I woke and found that life was duty."

One of my brothers scrawled on it: "So I went back to sleep again."