Sunday, July 08, 2007

Grownups (2)

ways he made me laugh in a way I haven't in a long time:

confessing whilst back in the Big Smoke for a Criminologist's convention, he'd been dragged along to not one, not two, but three reality tv-related shows by a fame crazed, camp fellow criminologist, who made him sit in the front row each time, where he found himself on camera waving his hands in the air whilst wearing those big sponge hands, singing along 'Hey baby, I wanna know, will you be my girl?' Catching himself on the monitor and freezing in horror.

"You've no idea, there is this whole sub-culture of professional TV audiences - you should have heard them - oh, you should try the Friday Night Project, you should try Big Brother's Big Mouth... They make the people in 'Extras' look sane and balanced. '

Telling us about his wedding - 'We chose our favourite song, it's Bootsy Collins. But we hadn't really thought it through - it's got all this tricky jazz stuff in it, and is not that easy to dance to... we were having to free-style it... plus it goes on for about an hour, you could see about 200 people glancing at their watches...'

He seems to have grown up in a way our other friends haven't; 'When I go out with Mons and Damien, and they're checking out some 19 year old, I say 'You're old enough to be her dad.' 'Eh? Nooo... Well... Fuck off, grandad! Who asked you out anyway?'

Mons was seeing this lovely woman. Down to earth, really nice, but he stuffed it up. She was a proper woman, you know, not a little girl - very womanly, but in no way, like, fat. I said, what did you say to her? 'I just suggested she lose a little bit of weight.' 'Oh, Mons... ' 'What, what's wrong with that?' 'You'd only been seeing her a week. And, pot, have you met kettle?'

He says, 'You know what I remember most about you? We were around your house at a party, and I said, where's Annie? I opened your bedroom door and you were sitting cross-legged on the bed, bouncing up and down and listening to Cypress Hill, head-banging with all your mad hair...'

Ah, misty water-coloured memories...

4 comments:

Billy said...

'You know what I remember most about you? We were around your house at a party, and I said, where's Annie? I opened your bedroom door and you were sitting cross-legged on the bed, bouncing up and down and listening to Cypress Hill, head-banging with all your mad hair...'

I don't know why, but this part impressed me immensely. Best way to be found at a party in my opinion.

S said...

Sounds like you had a cool weekend. No worries in the end about him seeing your place then.

Cypress Hill, now that takes me back.

Geoff said...

My friend bought their first album and told me he had the album by the Cypress Hills. So I thought they were called The Cyprus Eels.

Annie said...

cheers, Billy. Wasn't there a song about always finding someone in the kitchen at parties? (before your time, probably.)

James, it was fab, of course. I remember when Cypress Hill were the new new thing - god I'm old.

Geoff - ha!