Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Birthday meme

via Prolix comes this birthday meme.

Go to Wikipedia. Type in your birth date (but not year). List three events that happened on your birthday. List two important birthdays and one interesting death. Post this in your journal.

21 July

Events
1865 - In the market square of Springfield, Missouri, Wild Bill Hickok shoots Dave Tutt dead in what is regarded as the first true western showdown.
1969 - Neil A. Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin become the first men to walk on the Moon.
1987 - Guns N' Roses released their debut album Appetite For Destruction

Hmm, Wikipedia showing somewhat of an American bias here.

Birthdays
1899 - Ernest Hemingway, American writer, Nobel Prize laureate.
1911 - Marshall "Medium is the message"McLuhan, Canadian author.

I don't want to do a death, I much prefer to do a special day. Did you know that 21 July is Racial Harmony Day in Singapore? How nice. I'm kind of wondering how they go about implementing Racial Harmony Day though.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

7th November - a very significant day in Russia apparently: Leon Trotsky born on this day in 1879, and to celebrate his 38th birthday in 1917 him and his pal Lenin started the Russian Revolution! On a sadder note Leo Tolstoy died on the 7th November in 1910. I think I must have picked up a Russian soul from all this, well I like vodka anyway...

Anonymous said...

PS - the event on the 7th November is the Northern Catalonia National Day - which is appropriate as I´ve recently moved to Catalonia, it´ll be a double celebration this year!!

DC said...

Great - I share my birthday with the first ever Eurovision song contest - now my life is complete.

prolix said...

I don't want the kitten to 'get it' but I can't find the guest map! Someone help me damnit!!

*24 style beeping noise*

Annie said...

Em, how proud our Woodcraft leader would have been that you were born on Trotsky's birthday. And I fully expect the Catalans to hold a parade in your honour.

US - don't knock the Eurovision, it introduced Abba to the world...

Hi Prolix! Thanks for the meme... You should find it just under the Flickr photos - sometimes it says Place Your Pin, Click Here - go to it!

prolix said...

It's done - thank goodness, I didn't need kitten abuse on my conscience!

Shyha said...

I have some great events:
1. Egyptian President Anwar Sadat becomes the first Arab leader to officially visit Israel
2. In Geneva, US President Ronald Reagan and Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev meet for the first time
3. Mayflower anchored to the US coast
4. Christopher Columbus goes ashore on an island he first saw the day before. He names it San Juan Bautista (later renamed Puerto Rico)

Births:
1.Indira Ghandi
2.Meg Ryan, Jodie Foster, Calvin Klein and Richard Burton
3. Ofra Haza

Deaths:
1. Bruno Shultz
2. Alan J. Pakula

And the best...
it is: the World Toilet Day, LOL

Tim F said...

Racial Harmony Day is implemented in Singapore the same way everything is implemented there - the government tells you to do it, and if you don't, you're all going to become poor like those saps in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.

Of course, this is a special form of Racial Harmony, based on the Chinese knowing they're utterly superior to everybody else, but not making a song and dance about it, as long as the others don't try to shag their daughters.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Haha, I like Tim Footman's explanation.

Everyone in my family calls Dec. 16 'Beethoven's birthday' because it's my birthday and Beethoven's birthday. Also Noel Coward.

Annie said...

Cheers, Prolix! The kitten is safe, for another day...

Shyha, the toilet is a noble invention. Where would be without it?

Tim, Singapore sounds like a scary place to me. Don't they have the death penalty for dropping chewing gum or something?

GG - very appropriate, you too are a maestro ;-)

Shyha said...

Chewing gum? No. For having water under the plant - yes ;)